Inji Puli ~ Sadhya recipes ~ Kerala Recipes
Sweet, tangy and spicy condiment
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 1 cup
- 1/2 cup ginger chopped
- 5-6 long green chillies - slit
- 1 lemon sized tamarind - soaked in water
- 2 spring curry leaves - chopped
- 2 tbsp jaggery powdered/grated
- 3/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp rice
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
Chop ginger very finely to 1/2 cup and make slits in 5-6 green chilies
Soak lemon sized tamarind in 2 cups water.
Chop 2 spring curry leaves and grate jaggery to 2 tsp
Dry roast 3/4th tsp fenugreek seeds until its slightly roasted, Add Rice and roast until its puffy. Grind these to coarse powder.
Heat Coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds
Add the chopped ginger and fry for a minute, Add the slit green chilies. Fry both until ginger turns brown
Add tamarind water , salt and give it a boil
Boil it until it reduces to half and thickens, Once it has reduced to half, add the 1/2 tsp coarse ground fenugreek - rice powder
Let it boil for a minute, add 2 tablespoon jaggery, mix well and store it
- Use thick bottomed vessel. Cook in medium flame throughout.
- You can also add asafoetida when sauteing ginger
- Store in Air tight container. This can be used even for weeks if stored properly and use clean dry spoon to serve every time.