Milagu varutha puli
simple palakkad style tangy curry made with tamarind, small onion and red chilli
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lemon sized Tamarind - soaked in 3 cups warm water
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1/2 cup small onions - chopped/sliced
- 2-3 no Red chillies - broken
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt - to taste
Soak tamarind in 3 cups warm water before starting to cook
Preheat the pan, add coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds.
when it crackles, add Fenugreek seeds and saute it in simmer until it turns slightly brown.
further add curry leaves, red chilli and sliced onions. saute until onions turn slightly brown.
Squeeze out the Tamarind water and filter it. Add the filtered tamarind water to the pan and bring it to a boil.
Put off when it comes to a rolling boil. Serve hot with Rice and chammanthi.
- Optionally, you can add urad dal and chana dal while tempering.
- Also, some recipes call for chopped green chilies and garlic along with red chilies. But that is optional.