Vetrilai poondu sadam
betel leaves rice recipe with garlic | south Indian style medicinal rice
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
cooking rice20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp ground nut oil
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 nos cloves
- 1 no cardamom
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1.5 tbsp ground nut
- 10-15 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 1 no green chilli - chopped
- 4-5 leaves betel - cut to strips
- 3 tbsp tamarind water
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 2 cups basmati rice - cooked with salt
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
heat ground nut oil and add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, fennel seeds, ground nut and garlic
fry for a minute or until it is roasted.
further add chopped onions, chopped green chillies, chopped betel leaves and fry till it shrinks and onions are pink.
add tamarind water, salt, chilli powder, pepper powder and mix well. let it cook until all the moisture is absorbed.
lastly add cooked basmati rice, turmeric powder, garam masala and mix well.
close and let it sit for few minutes for the flavors to get infused.
serve hot with raita.
- you can add the turmeric powder and garam masala while adding other spices too.
- cook the basmati rice to perfect consistency and it has to be completely cool before you add it.
- add more betel leaves for an extra strong flavour.
- garlic has to be well roasted to avoid tasting raw.