Vetrilai poondu sadam | betel leaves rice recipe | vethalai sadham
Vetrilai poondu sadham | betel leaves rice recipe | betel garlic rice or commonly known as vethalai sadam is very good medicinal rice for treating cold and cough.
It is very common home remedy to use the combination of peppercorns, turmeric and betel leaves to treat cold. recently, I happen to taste this vetrilai sadham at a restaurant and found it seriously bland without any spice or salt. thought it could have been really very much better than that.
so immediately i tried out this recipe at home and my husband and kid were having cold at that time. I usually given him the karpooravalli kashayam
this time, i tried betel leaves rasam, betel leaves rice and it worked too. One of the best medicine to stop cough immediately is to mix honey, turmeric, pepper powder in hot water. mix thoroughly and strain it. when it is warm enough give the home made cough syrup to the kid above 1 year. Trust me, immediately it takes its action.
Vetrilai Poondu Sadam recipe
Vetrilai poondu sadam
- 2 tbsp ground nut oil
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 nos cloves
- 1 no cardamom
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1.5 tbsp ground nut
- 10-15 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 no green chilli chopped
- 4-5 leaves betel cut to strips
- 3 tbsp tamarind water
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 2 cups basmati rice cooked with salt
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- heat ground nut oil and add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, fennel seeds, ground nut and garlic
- fry for a minute or until it is roasted.
- further add chopped onions, chopped green chillies, chopped betel leaves and fry till it shrinks and onions are pink.
- add tamarind water, salt, chilli powder, pepper powder and mix well. let it cook until all the moisture is absorbed.
- lastly add cooked basmati rice, turmeric powder, garam masala and mix well.
- close and let it sit for few minutes for the flavors to get infused.
- serve hot with raita.
- you can add the turmeric powder and garam masala while adding other spices too.
- cook the basmati rice to perfect consistency and it has to be completely cool before you add it.
- add more betel leaves for an extra strong flavour.
- garlic has to be well roasted to avoid tasting raw.
betel leaves rice with garlic
1.heat oil in a pan and add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, crackle fennel seeds, ground nut, garlic and fry for a minute until both garlic and peanuts are well roasted.
2. finely chop the onions and green chillies and add it to the pan along with betel leaves. cut thin strips of betel leaves.
3. fry until it shrinks and onions turn transparent.
4. add tamarind water, chilli powder, salt, pepper powder and mix well. cook until all the moisture is absorbed. cook it in medium heat.
5. fry until all the tamarind water is absorbed and then add the cooked basmati rice. while cooking basmati rice, cook it with salt. add the cooked rice, turmeric powder, garam masala and mix well.
6. mix gently without breaking or mashing the rice. you can either close and keep it for few seconds until the masala gets to the rice or serve fresh.
serve the betel leaves rice with raita.