Idli podi recipe /podi idli recipe -Black urad dal idli podi with step by step pictures and quick video recipe. Idli Milagai podi is spicy, healthy and tasty condiment for idlis and dosas. black urad dal is known for its amazing benefits and this homemade idli podi is very good alternative on days without chutneys.
Addition of garlic to the podi is optional and in this recipe I have not added it. If you prefer slight garlic taste, dry roast 2 to 3 garlic cloves and add it while grinding. Also add asafoetida if you prefer which is again optional.
Let’s see how to make idli milagai podi / Idli podi quick video recipe /Idli podi seivathu eppadi:
Podi idli recipe – Pictorial directions:
- Firstly, Dry roast black urad dal until its brown and starts spluttering.
- Dry roast in simmer until its evenly brown. Take it in a plate
- In the same pan, heat 1 tsp coconut oil
- to the heated oil, Add red chilies and curry leaves. i have used the mix of Kashmir red chilies and normal chilies. If using byadgi chilies, use it alone instead of Kashmir chilies.
- Add 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Together add pepper corns 1 tsp. Adjust peppercorns according to your spice level.
- fry for a minute or less. Don’t let the cumin seeds brown. all these should happen only in medium to low flame.
- furthermore, add chana dal. kadalai paruppu/chana dal/bengal gram split is added in ratio 1:2, i.e, for 2 cups urad dal, 1 cup chana dal is added.
- fry until it gets slightly brown.
- transfer it to the same plate.
- again in the same pan, dry roast rice
- dry roast until it gets puffy and slightly red
- transfer it to a plate
- Add salt, asafoetida and let it completely cool
- Grind to medium coarse. Not completely coarse and not fine powder.
- Store it in a air tight container. Stays fresh for months.
Idli podi recipe:
Black urad dal idli podi
- 1 cup Bllack urad dal
- 0.5 cup Channa dal
- 2 springs Curry leaves
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Tsp Peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp Rice
- 10 -15 Dry long Red chilli
- 1/8 Tsp Hing
- salt to taste
- Dry roast all the ingredients one by one until it is brown/roasted.
- Add salt, cool down and grind to medium coarse powder
Thanks for taking time to read my recipes! ?It would be great pleasure if you could drop a comment about your views. Tel us if you have tried recipes from Jinoo’s Kitchen. Let us know how the dish turned out for you! Like, Share and spread a word if you like the recipes!