Ravioli is small pasta pockets with vegetable/meat dumplings served with sauce. This one is Indo-Italian version. How about having a herb flavored Saag paneer and Spinach in a rich Indian flavored white Sauce. Especially those cheesy toppings gives an awesome taste in every single bite.
Paneer and Spinach are cooked and stuffed in ravioli pockets which is nothing but all purpose flour & egg dough rolled out into small circles/shape you want. These stuffed ravioli is then sealed well and put into boiling water. Once it raises up, it is taken out and put in baking tray. White sauce is prepared and poured on top of the raviolis and mozzarella cheese is grated on top and quickly baked for 3-5 Mins.
Saag Paneer Spinach Ravioli in White Sauce
For the Ravioli pockets
- 1 cup All purpose flour(maida)
- 1 Large egg
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt - To taste
For the Filling
- 100-125 Gms Paneer
- 8-10 Leaves Fresh Spinach - Amaranthus is used here (Araikeerai/Koyagura)
- 3-4 Nos green chillies
- 5-6 Leaves Fresh Mint - Pudina
- 1 small-medium sized Onion - Finely chopped
- Salt - To taste
- 1 tsp Mixed herb
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
For the White Sauce
- 1 Big sized Onion - chopped roughly
- 2 Nos green chillies
- 2 tbsp Cashew
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3 pods garlic
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Making Ravioli dough
- Take All purpose flour in bowl. Add salt, Sugar and break and egg into it. Mix it well until its crumbly. Now add water and make a smooth soft dough. Cover with cloth and set it aside for 30-40 min
- Boil water and put in spinach leaves in it until it becomes soft. drain water and keep it ready.
- Grind Paneer, cooked spinach, mint and chillies coarsely until paneer is crumbled. Don't grind too much to paste.
- Heat oil/Butter, Saute Onions until brown. Add ground crumble, Mixed herb, salt and garam masala. Saute till Paneer is cooked. Do not add water, Water in spinach is sufficient to cook the paneer.
Filling the Ravioli pockets
- Take the dough and make small balls and roll them to thin big round. Cut four small rounds from it with any jar cover or any cutter if you have one.
- Place a circle, Place the filling on it. Close it with another circle as shown in pic.
- Seal the edges secure so that dumplings doesn't come out when put in water.
Cooking the Ravioli
- Boil water in a deep vessel and add a pinch salt when its bubbling. Put in all the raviolis one by one. It will sink to the bottom and raise in less than a minute or two. After it raises. Keep it just for 1/2 min and take it out to baking tray and keep it ready while we prepare white sauce
Preparing White Sauce
- Grind Onion, cashew, green chilli, ginger and garlic to a fine paste
- Heat Oil/Butter in a non stick pan, Pop in Cumin seeds and add the ground paste. Add salt, turmeric powder and saute until raw smell goes off.
- When it starts to leave out water and becomes dry, Add millk and fresh cream. Mix well. Give it a boil and pour it on the baking bowl on top of raviolis
Baking the Raviolis
- Grate Mozzarella cheese on top and bake for 2 min until cheese on top melts. Serve Hot!!!