Prawns fry recipe – Simple and quick Prawns fry recipe that is found as street food especially in Kerala and Tamilnadu. If you happen to visit beaches in Chennai, this prawns fry is very common and I have replicated the same recipe in here.
Basically seafood is considered to reduce the digestive fire and regulate Kapha. Kapha is one of the doshas depicting water and earth elements of our body. Early Tamil literature talks about the prawns caught by the meenavar (Fisher) community and is evident that its been in our culture since ages. It is also referenced as an iravu meen(night fish) in the olden days. One point that am quoting here about literature and ayurveda is that while it is age old practice to include prawns in our food diet and also that cooking time of prawns is so less that the life of the dish is retained.
The most important factor to keep in mind while cooking prawns is it needs less than 5 minutes to get cooked. overcooking it may result in rubbery texture and undercooking in fleshy raw texture.
To check if the prawns are Perfect, keep an eye on its color. It is transparent and white when raw. turns pinkish and opaque once cooked. time will be 4-5 minutes by then.
Prawns fry video recipe
Prawns varuval recipe
Prawns fry recipe
- 500 gms Prawns cleaned and washed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
for the main dish
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 2 nos red chilli broken
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 8-10 no shallots finely chopped
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- Let's marinate prawns with everything given under the "to marinate" section. Massage the spices on to the prawns and marinate it for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wide skillet/pan and fry chopped garlic and chopped ginger. fry until it turns reddish
- saute in chopped onions, red chillies, curry leaves until onions are slightly reddish.
- further, add grated coconut, keep the flame low and fry till it turns reddish brown.
- Now, add the marinated prawns. Mix together. spread it evenly and cook for 2 minutes.
- after 2 minutes. sprinkle pepper powder and mix it well. spread again and cook for another 3 minutes.
- check if the prawns are done and serve it hot!
How to make prawns roast recipe street food style
Firstly, Clean the prawns thoroughly. At the market, they use to cut the head and tail and leave the veins as such. There is a long black vein running along the front and back. We usually remove both and wash it thoroughly in running water until it is clean. Take the clean Prawns in a bowl and add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt, pepper powder, coriander powder, and garam masala.
Lastly, drizzle few drops of oil and massage the spices on to the prawns gently. When I say massaging it means, Gently rubbing the spices all over the skin of the prawns for at least 1-2 minutes. Let it marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.
Heat oil in a wide pan, add finely chopped garlic and finely chopped ginger to it. fry till the ginger and garlic are browned.
To this, add finely chopped onions, red chillies, curry leaves and start frying until onions are slightly brown.
Next is the grated coconut. You can use either freshly grated coconut or desiccated coconut. Fry the coconut until it turns reddish-brown. Do not burn it down, so keep the flame medium-low.
As soon as the coconut is reddish, add prawns and mix everything together. Gently spread the prawns all over the pan so that it gets cooked evenly. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
sprinkle pepper powder. mix again and spread evenly. cook for another 3 minutes.
In total, After 4-5 minutes, check if the prawns are cooked. You can identify, pinkish layer on the prawns. If you are not sure. just taste a prawn, it shouldn’t be rubbery or undercooked.
Serve it super hot and fresh.