Vazhai Thandu Kootu ~ Unnithandu paruppu kootu is made with banana stem and dal. Healthy recipe and soothing curry for rice. Can be had as side dish or main dish with rice.
In this recipe I have used chana dal (kadalai paruppu). Instead of it, we can use moong dal or the tur dal.
Check out some of the curry recipes for rice –
Vazhai Thandu Kootu ~ Unnithandu paruppu kootu Video recipe:
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for more videos
Vazhai Thandu Kootu ~ Unnithandu paruppu kootu recipe:
unnithandu paruppu kootu
- 1/2 cup coconut grated
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 1.5 cups chopped banana stem
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 no red chilli broken
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- Grind coconut, cumin and green chilli to a fine paste
- Soak chana dal for 30 min.
- Cook chana dal, chopped banan stem, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt with enough water to 3-4 whistles. Mash them and keep it ready.
- Heat coconut oil, pop in mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chilli, curry leaves, garlic.
- Saute in chopped onions until pink.
- Drop in chopped tomato and saute until mushy
- Pour in the cooked dal - banana stem mixture and mix well
- Pour again the coconut cumin seeds mixture. mix well.
- Adjust salt and let it come to a rolling boil. Close and cook in medium flame until then.
- Serve hot with rice and ghee.
Vazhai Thandu Kootu kootu pictorial directions:
Grind coconut, cumin and green chilli to a fine paste and keep it ready.
Soak chana dal for 30 min. Take chana dal in a cooker.
To this, add chopped banana stem.
Put in turmeric powder
then goes chilli powder. Add salt
Add enough water and cook to 3-4 whistles. Mash and keep it ready.
Heat coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds,
Add Cumin seeds
Add red chilli
Add garlic and curry leaves. Adding garlic is optional. Since we are using dal, adding garlic is recommended.
chopped onions goes in.
saute until its pink.
Add chopped tomatoes and mix well.
Once its slightly mushy, add the cooked banana stem-dal mixture. Mix well
Add the coconut cumin paste to this and mix again. Close and cook in medium flame and Let it come to a rolling boil.
serve hot with a tsp of ghee drizzled on top !!