Beetroot rice recipe – One of the healthy and delicious rice recipe/ pulao recipe with beetroot and peas. good choice for lunchbox especially for kids. This recipe of beetroot pulao is mildly spiced.
There is another version of beetroot rice where the beets are grated and added to the rice. Both rice recipes are equally good. Here is the rice recipe with grated/ground beetroot.
About soaking the rice, Needless to say, it is a must to soak the basmati rice at least for a minimum of 15 minutes. It helps in getting soft grains and reduces the cooking time.
Frying rice is also an essential part of any rice recipe. Frying it to leave out all the moisture and to get coated it with masala and oil helps in getting the grains separate and non-sticky.
Beetroot rice recipe
Beetroot pulao recipe
Beetroot rice recipe
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 no bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 no cardamom
- 3 no cloves
- 1 no green chilli broken
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6-8 no dry grapes
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp green peas
- 1 medium beetroot diced
- 3/4 cup basmati rice soaked for 15-20 minutes
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1 handful chopped coriander leaves
- Soak the basmati rice in water for 20 minutes
- Heat oil in a pan and add all the whole spices: cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, cloves and onions.
- Fry till onions are slightly brown.
- Further, add dry grapes and ginger garlic paste. saute till raw smell leaves.
- wash and add the fresh peas, diced beetroots and mix well.
- Drain the soaked rice and add the rice to the pan.
- saute for 10 seconds/till a minute until all the moisture leaves and rice gets coated with oil.
- add turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and mix well.
- saute till the masala gets blended.
- add 1 cup of water and chopped coriander leaves.
- let the water come to a boil. close and let it cook in simmer for about 8 minutes.
- put off the flame and let it sit undisturbed for 5-10 minutes. open and fluff it up.
- serve hot with raita.
How to make Beetroot rice recipe
To make this beetroot rice , firstly, let’s heat oil in a pan and add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf, chopped onions. Fry till onions turn slightly brown.
When the onions turn brown, add the dry grapes and ginger garlic paste. saute till raw smell leaves.
Further, add fresh peas and beetroot. Mix well.
Soak the basmati rice for 15 minutes before starting to cook. drain the water and add the rice. saute for a minute.
Furthermore, add turmeric powder, chilli powder, and garam masala. Mix well. saute again for a minute.
lastly, add 1 cup water (for 3/4 cup rice soaked for 20 minutes) water, salt, and coriander leaves. let the water boil and then close the lid. Cook for 7-8 minutes in simmer and put off. Do not open. let it cool a bit for 1 minimum of 5 minutes and then open the lid and mix the rice.
serve it hot with raita.