Vazhaithandu Kola urundai | Banana stem kola urundai recipe with step by step pics and video recipe. one of the tasty veg kola recipe with banana stem which seems to be like the non veg kola urundai
I have been thinking to make something interesting with banana stem and also wanted to try a veg kola at home. so thought of making a veg version of the typical non veg kola urundai.
In restaurants, i found them adding jaggery for little bit of sweet taste and rice powder for the crispy outer. i haven’t done both but we loved the home style veg kola urundai with tomato sauce and onion, tomato slices. its completely my own version of kola.
the batter for kola has to be thick so that ball stays firm. In case your batter is thin accidentally it happens when you dont squeeze out water properly from banana stem or grind it too much. in that case, just add gram flour+ rice flour little bit to make it thick.
also i would suggest freezing it for an hour. though optional, it gives a firmness to the ball and the ball turns to be super crispy. so try it and let me know how it is.
Vazhaithandu Kola urundai
vazhaithandu kola urundai recipe
to pressure cook banana stem
- 3 cups banana stem chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
for the kola spice powder
- 1/8 cup bengal gram
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 no cloves
- 2 no green chilli
- 4 no red chillies
- 1/8 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp fried gram
- 12-15 nos small onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp khus khus
- 1/8 cup grated coconut
to make kola
- 2-3 tbsp chopped onions
- 1 spring curry leaves – chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves – chopped
- 1/4 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Oil – for deep frying
to cook banana stem
- clean and chop the banana stem. take them in a pressure cooker along with salt, turmeric and 1/4 cup water. mix well, close and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- let the pressure settle on its own. open and drain it completely. let it cool completely.
to make spice powder
- meanwhile dry roast Bengal gram until brown and take it in a blender.
- heat oil in the same pan and add cinnamon, cloves, green chilli, red chillies, fennel seeds, fried gram, small onions, garlic and fry until brown.
- add coconut grated and khus khus. fry for few seconds.
- cool and add it to the blender along with roasted Bengal gram.
- grind it to coarse powder. keep it aside.
to make the kola
- squeeze excess water from the banana stem and take it in the mixing bowl.
- add the spice powder, chopped onions, chopped curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves, oil, salt to taste and mix well to thick batter (vada batter consistency)
- grease hands and make small balls out of it. freeze all the balls for an hour
- deep fry until golden brown in medium hot oil.
Banana stem kola urundai recipe
1.clean, wash and chop the banana stem. add banana stem, water 1/4 cup and turmeric powder to the pressure cooker. we strain off the excess water later.
2. add salt to taste, mix well and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
3. let the pressure settle down on its own. open and drain them. let it cool down completely. set it aside and lets prepare the spice powder.
4. dry roast bengal gram(kadalai paruppu) until slightly brown and take it in a blender.
5. in the same pan, heat oil, add cinnamon, cloves, green chilli, red chilli and fennel seeds.
6. further add fried gram (pottukadalai) and fry for few seconds.
7. furthermore, add small onions, garlic and fry until slightly brown.
8. lastly, add coconut grated and khus khus. mix well. fry for few seconds. need not brown them just mix it for few seconds.
9. let it cool down and take it in the same blender along with roasted Bengal gram. grind it to coarse paste.
10. by now banana stem would be cool. so squeeze out the banana stem well without water. you need not discard the water. use it to make rasam.
11. take the squeezed out banana stem in another blender. pulse it once or twice and take it to the mixing bowl.
12. along with it, add coarse spice mix, chopped onions, chopped curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves and oil .
13. also add salt to taste. mix well to a thick batter. if wet, add gram flour.
14. grease hands and take a large pinch of batter and make a smooth ball of it.
15. make all the balls and freeze them for an hour before deep frying.
16. heat oil and deep fry in batches. turn sides after few seconds.
17. fry until golden brown and drain to a paper towel.
serve hot with sauce and onions/tomatoes.