Ghee rice / Neichoru is a delicious Malabar special dish. It goes very well with nadan varuthu aracha chicken curry or any spicy chicken curry with pepper flavor. If you are looking for any variation from biryani/pulav, go for Neichoru 🙂 It is mildly spiced and packed with the rich ghee flavor. Try it and enjoy! 🙂
–Recipe by Suchu Sagar
Sides for Neichoru/ghee rice:
- Varuthu aracha chicken curry
- Pollachi chicken kulambu
- Pepper chicken curry
ghee rice (Nei choru)
- 5 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 small stick Cinnamon
- 2 Nos Cloves
- 1 No Nutmeg
- 1 No Star rinse
- 3 Medium sized Onions - sliced
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/4 cup Cashew and raisins
- 1 large onion sliced
- Heat a Kadai, add 5 tbsp ghee, add cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and star rinse and saute for a min until it leaves out aroma. (take care not to burn them)
- Add sliced onions and saute until it is brown
- Now add water in the ratio (2: 3 1/2-4). 3 1/2 cups water to 2 cups rice. add salt and lemon juice. Let it boil
- Then add 2 cups washed basmati rice. Bring the flame to low, close and cook for 10 mins.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl. Meanwhile, heat ghee, add cashew and raisins and fry until cashews turn brown. Put in on top of the rice.
- Add oil, put in sliced onions until they turn golden brown and put on top of the rice and serve hot!