kadachakka curry | Breadfruit curry | kada chakka masala curry
kadachakka curry | Breadfruit curry | kada chakka masala curry with step by step photos and video recipe. This one is kadachakka curry with coconut. simple and flavorful curry recipe of Kerala where the spices along with coconut is saute and freshly ground.
Idi chakka curry recipe is similar to this one with slight variations and using idi chakka or tender jackfruit.
This is breadfruit..we call that kada chakka in Malayalam…it is family of jackfruit but not actually jackfruit…these are mushy inside like potatoes unlike jackfruits where rags and avril (called as madal and chola) are seen even if tender.One more important difference is breadfruit doesn’t have big thorns…small projections are only seen unlike jackfruits which have thorns, So what ?? Breadfruits tastes great for curries…tender jackfruit for thoran/stir fry..note that when you buy.
Now, how to clean the breadfruit?
- its simple compared to jackfruit. Just cut open the fruit to two.
- slice off the skin.
- chop it into pieces.
- soak in water/buttermilk to prevent darkening
other names of breadfruit:
- kadachakka/sheema chakka/thallan chakka/cheema chakka in malayalam
- Jeegujje or dee gujje in kannada
kadachakka curry | Breadfruit curry | kada chakka masala curry video recipe:
kadachakka curry | Breadfruit curry | kada chakka masala curry recipe card:
kadachakka curry | Breadfruit curry
to saute and grind
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 15-20 small shallots/small onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 no cloves
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tbsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 no green chilli slit
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 1 small kada chakka/breadfruit (size as in pic)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 5-6 no shalltos chopped finely
- salt for frying
to saute and grind
- heat oil in a pan, small onions, cinnamon, cloves, fennel and garlic. fry for a minute and add grated coconut.
- fry until the grated coconut is red. switch off and transfer to blender and add coriander pwoder, chilli powder, pepper powder and little water
- grind it to a paste and keep it ready
- heat coconut oil in the same pan and add chopped ginger, sliced onions, green chillies and fry till the onions are pink.
- finely chop tomatoes and add it. saute till mushy.
- further add breadfruit/kada chakka chopped, salt, turmeric powder, water and mix well. close and cook for 10 minutes until the breadfruit is tender and soft. .
- open and add the ground masala, water and mix again. close and cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- heat coconut oil and crackle mustard seeds adn add curry leaves, shallots chopped and salt for frying.
- fry till reddish and add the tempering to the curry. mix well and serve with rice.
kadachakka curry | Breadfruit curry | kada chakka masala curry with step by step pics:
- heat coconut oil in a pan, add shallots, cinnamon, cloves, garlic and fennel seeds. fry for a minute.
- further add grated coconut and fry in simmer until it gets golden brown. fry in simmer and take care not to burn it.
- transfer to a blender, add coriander powder, chilli powder and pepper powder
- transfer to a blender, add water and grind to a fine paste. keep it aside
- heat coconut oil, add chopped ginger, slit green chillies, curry leaves and sliced onions. fry till pink.
- further add chopped tomatoes and fry till mushy.
- add chopped breadfruit, turmeric powder, salt and water
- mix well, close and cook till the breadfruit is cooked and is soft.
- open after 10 minutes or until breadfruit is cooked and add ground masala. mix well.
- add little water to bring it to the thin consistency required, close and cook again for 10 minutes in simmer.
- for tempering: heat coconut oil, crackle mustard seeds, curry leaves, chopped shallots and salt for frying in a tadka pan.
- fry till it is slightly brown and add it to the curry. mix well and serve hot with rice.
pin for later: