Chicken biryani recipe with roasted tomatoes | Tomato chicken biryani recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. simple, easy chicken biryani recipe where chicken is flavored dominantly with tomatoes thus calling it as tomato chicken biryani. this goes well with plain salna/gravy.
It was this women’s day, that i wanted to cook biryani for my mom. I planned for some special chicken biryani. I always cook the tomato chicken shredded one and we all love the tangy flavor of tomatoes with chicken. So thought of making similar one in biryani and tried this recipe. it came out soooo good and they all were happy. 🙂 something that i can do to make my mom happy! try it out and tel me how it was for you.
some of the popular chicken biryani recipes that you must try:
- Easy Chicken Biryani recipe| Pressure cooker biryani video recipe
- Ambur Star Biryani
- Easy Chicken Dum Biryani
- Thalappakatti style chicken Biriyani recipe | Dindigul Biriyani
chicken biryani with roasted tomatoes | Tomato chicken biryani recipe quick video:
Tomato chicken biryani recipe card:
Tomato chicken biryani recipe
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 no bay leaf
- 4-5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 spring curry leaves
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 large tomato finely chopped
- 600 gms chicken
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1.5 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 1 large tomato cubed for grilling
- 1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 3/4 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp kasuri methi
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
heat oil in a pan, add bay leafs, chopped garlic, thinly sliced onions and fry till onions are transparent.
to this, add finely chopped tomatoes and saute for half a minute.
further add chicken, turmeric powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder and mix well.
cover and cook the chicken until it is soft.
meanwhile, soak the basmati rice and grill the tomatoes on stove top.
when the chicken is done, open and add the rice, grilled tomatoes,, kashmiri chilli powder, garam masala, kasuri methi, 2.25 cups water and mix well.
finally add chopped coriander leaves and seal the vessel with aluminium foil. cover it and cook for about 20 minutes on low flame.
open and fluff it up gently. serve hot with raita.
chicken biryani with roasted tomatoes | Tomato chicken biryani recipe with step by step photos :
- firstly, heat sesame oil in a thick bottomed vessel. add bay leaf, chopped garlic, curry leaves to the pan. we are not adding any other whole spices.
- now, add thinly sliced onions and fry till slightly brown or transparent.
- tomatoes are to be taken double the quantity of onion. i have taken 1 large onion and 2 large tomatoes. finely chop the tomatoes and add it to the pan. fry for half a minute.
- Further, add chicken, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- together add, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder and mix again
- add water enough for the chicken to get cooked. close and cook until the chicken is soft and cooked completely. takes about 20 minutes.
- while the chicken is getting cooked, soak the basmati rice in water. basmati rice cooks faster and it should be soaked for more than 30 minutes. that is the reason why we are soaking it midway of the recipe.
- take a skewer and insert tomato chunks to it. roast the tomatoes in direct flame until brown on all sides.
- roasted tomatoes look like this. You can also remove the skin and add the flesh but i like the flavor of burnt tomatoes. keep it aside.
- when the chicken is done completely, open and add kashmiri chilli pwoder, garam masala, kasuri methi and soaked rice. drain the water completely from the rice and add it.
- mix well and fry for few seconds and add water. water to be added in the ratio: 1:1.5 that is for 1 cup rice its 1.5 cups water. here i have used 1.5 cups rice, so 2.25 cups water is used here. along with it, add roasted tomatoes and salt to taste.
- mix well and add chopped coriander leaves on top.
- close it with a aluminium foil sealed air tight and close it with a lid. not a typical dum but i dont want the flavors to escape.
- close it with a lid and cook on low flame for 20-25 minutes.
- open the lid and throw away the foil sheet.
- fluff it up gently and serve hot with raita and salna/plain gravy
pin it for later: