Aloo keema recipe | Chicken kheema aloo is a semi gravy where in-ground/minced chicken is slow-cooked along with potatoes in an onion-tomato base curry. This can be a great substitute for every time butter chicken or chicken masala that we make for chapati or pulao. It is medium spiced and easy to prepare.
Video recipe of aloo keema
This simple and easy-to-make chicken minced curry uses boneless chicken and potatoes. I did try this out once when I had the keema leftover after making the patties. just like the paneer bhurji and egg bhurji, I would call this chicken bhurji curry. You can find the video recipe above and stepwise pics below for the detailed recipe.
Ingredients for the keema aloo recipe
What is Chicken Kheema made of?
Chicken Kheema – main ingredient which is available as such or you can even get the chicken boneless and mince it yourself. You can pulse it to mince the boneless chicken.
Potatoes – Another main ingredient. While it is always the best combination to have chicken cooked with potatoes. You can also add green peas along with these two main ingredients which will go along well.
Onion Tomato sauce – The basic onion tomato curry/sauce is required for this recipe. In this recipe, it is freshly cooked.
Garam masala – The flavourful spice powder that adds up the perk to any curry dish.
For a detailed ingredient list, check out the recipe card.
Aloo kheema recipe with stepwise pics
Step 1: Heat a wide pan and add 2 tbsp oil to the pan.
Step 2: add all the whole spices to it and let it start to crackle
step 3: immediately add the chopped onions to the pan
step 4: fry the chopped onions on medium heat until slightly brown in color.
step 5: when it starts changing color, add ginger garlic paste to it.
step 6: fry the ginger garlic paste until the raw smell leaves completely.
step 7: add in the chopped tomatoes to the pan.
step 8: keep frying the tomatoes in medium heat until it turns mushy and well cooked.
step 9: when the tomatoes turn mushy, add the chicken mince to it.
step 10: further add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt, and coriander powder.
step 11: Mix well for a couple of minutes until the masala blends well with the chicken.
step 12: add the potato cubes and garam masala to the pan.
step 13: mix it well
step 14: Add 1 cup water for the chicken and potatoes to cook.
Step 15: close cook for 15-20 minutes in medium heat or until the chicken turns soft.
Step 16: open the curry and check for the water inbetween.
Step 17: add more water if required, stir once in between, close, and cook again.
step 18: open and lastly add Kasuri methi and coriander leaves. serve hot with chapati/pulao
Suggestions and Tips
- To make a perfect gravy, before adding the chicken, cook the onion tomato base as suggested above in a medium flame until oil oozes out.
- For making the chicken mince, you can source them directly or put the boneless chicken in a blender and pulse it for a couple of times or until it is minced well.
- For a thicker gravy, you can mash few potatoes once it is cooked.
Keema aloo recipe
- 1.5 tbsp oil preferably refined/odourless oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 no cloves
- 2 no cardamom
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 no onion chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 no tomato finely chopped
- 250 gms chicken minced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- 1 large potato cubed
- 1 tsp chicken masala
- 1 cup Water or as required
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp coriander leaves chopped
- To make this keema aloo, firstly Heat a wide pan and add oil to it.
- add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, fennel seeds and allow it to crackle
- To this, add finely chopped onion and let it fry in a medium flame until slightly brown
- when the onions turn brown, add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- add the chopped tomatoes and cook it until mushy.
- further add minced chicken, spice powders (turmeric, chilli, coriander, salt
- mix well until chicken blends with the masala
- furthermore, add potato cubes and garam masala
- mix well, add water, close and cook for 15 minutes
- open and mix once inbetween
- when the chicken is cooked and soft, lastly add kasuri methi and coriander leaves.
- mix once and switch off. serve it hot with roti