Planning for side dish is major confusion in most of the south indian kitchens. If we ask for opinion, simple answer would be anything is fine! Which would make us even more confusing to decide. Problem is we dont want too much repetition. At the same time want a traditional and interesting tasty side dish for idli/ dosas. There we go in search of new recipes.
I have a collection of side dishes for idlis/dosas. Pls. Check it out and try it if you find it interesting.
Vengaya Kosu – Pictorial Directions:
To saute and grind
- Saute roughly chopped onions, Ginger and Garlic with little oil in a kadai until onions turn brown.
- Grind it along with kuskus, fennel seeds and grated coconut. Grind it to a smooth paste.
Making of masala
- Heat oil in cooker, add fennel seeds saute for a minute and then add chopped tomatoes. Cook until its mushy.
- Add the ground mixture, turmeric powder,chilli powder, sambar powder or curry masal powder and salt to taste.
We can also add fried gram while grinding. This is to thicken the gravy. Adding it is optional. I have not added in my recipe.
We can also add potatoes for added taste.
Recipe for vengaya kosu:
Chettinad Vengaya kosu
- 3 medium sized onions roughly chopped
- 2 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 4 -5 medium to large sized garlic cloves
- 1 tsp khus khus
- 2 tsp fennel seeds 1 tsp to grind and 1 tsp to season
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp sambar powder
- Heat oil in kadai, saute roughly chopped onions, ginger and garlic.saute until onions are brown.
- Grind the above onion, ginger and garlic along with coconut, khuskhus and fennel seeds. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a cooker. Crackle fennel seeds. Throw in chopped tomato and saute until mushy.
- Add the ground masala. Put in turmeric powder, chilli powder, sambar powder and salt.
- Mix well and add little water. Close the cooker and cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Serve hot with idlis/dosas.
Thanks for taking time to read my recipes. It would be great pleasure if could drop a comment about your views. Let us know how the dish turned out to you. Pls like, share, comment and spread a word if you like Jinoo’skitchen recipes.