Chicken Dum Biryani – Easy and perfect dum biryani recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. chicken curry and rice layered and topped with few spices. This layered curry and rice are later dum cooked.
The art of dum cooking involves cooking the rice in its own flavor and smell and to capture the flavors within itself to get strong aromatic rice as the outcome. At home, there are two possibilities for Dum cooking. If you have access to cook outside your house, then you can place a lot of hot coal on the top of the vessel lid with layered rice.
While the other method is very common to place it on iron tawa and placing a heavyweight on top of the lid. either the lid is covered with wet dough or with foil to capture the flavors intact.
some of the other dum recipes:
- Mutton dum biryani recipe Hyderabadi style
Chicken Dum Biryani recipe
Quick video recipe
step by step recipe with pics
1. Cooking the base chicken curry for biryani
To prepare the dum chicken biryani firstly let’s cook the chicken curry which is the base of the rice. For which, heat oil and ghee in a cooker.
When the ghee is melted, put in all the whole spices. shahi jeera, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise, black cardamom, mace strand, stone flower and mix once. further add finely chopped onions, finely chopped green chilies and ginger-garlic paste. Fry until the onions turn slightly brown.
Wash and clean the chicken pieces and add them to the cooker along with curd. fry for a couple of minutes or until moisture starts leaving out the chicken pieces.
At this stage, add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala to the chicken and fry again for a couple of minutes in medium to high heat until raw smell leaves and it is well blended.
Add salt, chopped mint leaves, chopped coriander leaves, and mix well.
Lastly, add a little bit of water, I have used approximately 1/2 cup of water. we do not want too much water for the curry once cooked same time, we have to keep an eye not to get it burnt while we pressure cook. Mix once, close and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
2. cooking the basmati rice
In a large wide bowl, take enough water (1:3 cups water) and add the whole spices: bay leaf, shahi jeera, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, star anise salt, oil, and lemon juice. mix well and let it come to a rolling boil.
we have the basmati rice that’s been soaking for 30 minutes. drain them completely and add the rice to the boiling water.
cook the rice for 7-8 minutes and put off. the rice shouldn’t be too soft. instead, it should be in “easily breakable” condition. Drain the rice and remove all the whole spices from it.
3. Layering the rice
Open the cooker once the pressure settles down and let it boil again until there is very minimal water left in the masala.
Drop in the cooked rice and press it gently all over.
put in some chopped mint, chopped coriander leaves, saffron milk, and ghee. close the cooker with aluminum foil or dough without any space for the flavor to espace out.
Keep an iron tawa on the stove and put the flame to low. place the cooker on top and a plate over it. place a heavy weight on top. Let it cook for 10 minutes. Put off flame and keep it undisturbed for 10 more minutes. open after that.
serve the rice hot with the curry from the bottom.
Easy chiicken dum biryani recipe
for chicken curry
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- 3/4 tsp shahi jeera
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 6 no cloves
- 1 no star anise
- 1 small piece mace strand
- 1 no black cardamom
- 1 piece stone flower
- 2 no onions finely chopped
- 1 no green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1/4 cup curd
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup water
for cooking rice
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 no star anise
- 3 no cloves
- 1/4 inch cinnamon
- 4 no cardamom
- 1/2 tsp shahi jeera
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1.5 cups basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 handful mint and coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp saffron milk
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- foil sheet
To make chicken curry
- Heat oil and ghee in a cooker and add all the whole spices from shahi jeera to ginger garlic paste in the ingredient list above "for chicken curry".
- Fry till onions are brown. add clean chicken pieces along with curd and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Further add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and fry for a couple of minutes.
- add salt, chopped mint leaves, chopped coriander leaves, water and mix well.
- close and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. open once the pressure settles.
to cook rice
- soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes
- take 4 cups water in a pot and add all the ingredients listed under "for cooking rice" except rice.
- when it is boiling, add the drained rice.
- cook for 7-8 minutes or until it is easily breakable.
- stain the rice and discard the whole spices from it.
layering for dum
- open the cooker, if the curry is watery, cook again until thick.
- put in the cooked rice on top and press gently.
- further layer with chopped mint, chopped coriander leaves, saffron milk, lemon juice, and ghee.
- Cover with a foil sheet and place a lid on top followed by a heavyweight on the lid.
- Keep the cooker over an iron tawa and put the flame low.
- let it cook for 10 minutes. put off and open after 10 minutes.
- serve hot with raita.