I first had the thattu vada set in erode and it is slightly different from the salem thattu vada set where in beetroot, carrots, coriander leaves are used to fill the sandwich between the thattu vadai / crackers. Erode style thattu vadai had the curd filling in it which was very unique and tasty comparitively.
There is one thatha kadai in erode where he serves thattu vadai since so many years and there is fixed timings for his shop and limited servings too. it will be so tasty and i did crack somewhat near to that recipe.
quick video of the erode thattu vada set recipe:
stepwise pics of the erode thattu vada set recipe:
take a mixing bowl and mix together thick curd preferably hung sour curd, chopped onions, chopped cucumber, grated carrots, chopped green chillies, garam masala, powdered peanuts and salt. mix well and keep it ready. this is our filling between the thattai (crackers)
place the thattai on a serving plate and apply red chilli chutney over it. for this chutney, just saute 1 onion, 1 tomato and 3 red chillies and grind it to a paste. apply that chutney over the thattai and the chopped onions over it.
now place the curd mix on it and spread evenly. close it with another set of thattai where the chutney is spread.
tasty and delicious erode style thattu vada set is ready !
erode thattu vada set recipe
- 1/2 cup curd thick
- 2 tbsp coarse peanut powder
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- 1 tbsp chopped cucumber
- 1 tbsp grated carrots
- 1/4 tsp green chilli chopped finely
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 4 tbsp red chilli chutney
- 2 tbsp chopped onions for garnishing
- 24 nos thattai/ gram flour crackers
- mix all the ingredients" in filling" in a mixing bowl. mix well and set aside
- place the thattai/crackers in a plate and apply chilli chutney over it.
- top it with chopped onions and then a tiny scoop of curd mix
- cover it with another thattai/cracker and serve fresh.