Karathigai adai recipe | Milagu jeeraga adai
Milagu jeeraga adai also known as karthigai adai is one of the traditional recipes made especially on the thirukarthigai / karthigai deepam. Which is why it is also called as karthigai adai.
I got this recipe from one of an age-old Tamil magazine where the traditions followed on the day of karthgai deepam was given. In which I read about milagu adai and milagu vadai being prepared as a savory offering to god apart from sweet delicacies.
One thing about this adai is it has to be taken hot for the best taste. I love to pair it with simple coconut chutney.
Karathigai adai recipe
Milagu jeeraga adai
- 1/2 cup idli rice
- 1/2 cup raw rice
- 1/4 cup urad dal
- 1.5 tbsp chana dal
- 1.5 tbsp tur dal
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1.5 tbsp crushed peppercorns
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- oil to make dosa
- wash and soak the rice and dal for 3-4 hours
- drain the water and grind it along with salt, cumin seeds.
- add freshly crushed peppercorns, curry leaves, and grated coconut.
- Mix well adding few tbsps of water.
- prepare the dosa tawa and pour a ladle of batter to a small-medium thick round and drizzle oil on top and sides.
- cook for a few minutes and turn sides. cook again for a few minutes and serve the adai dosai hot.
How to make Karathigai adai
Wash and soak all the ingredients needed for this adai. raw rice, idli rice, urad dal, chana dal and tur dal in its measures. soak it for 3-4 hours.
After 4 hours, drain the water and add salt, cumin seeds and grind it to a coarse batter.
Add crushed peppercorns, curry leaves, and grated coconut.
Add a few tbsps of water and mix it well. Generally, adai batter need not be fermented and can be used right away to make dosas.
You can spread it to a thick/ thin round as per your preference. drizzle oil and cook on both sides just like we cook any dosa/adai.
serve it hot with chutney of your choice.