Kudam puli or Malabar Puli is small in size and looks like a small pumpkin. It is a kind of Tamarind.
It gives a Spl flavor to the dish. Note the point that its also promoted at many places for weight loss. So go ahead using this for all puli curry Ladies! )
Kovaykka KudamPuli Curry directions:
Soak this Kudam Puli in hot water before you prepare this dish. It takes longer than the normal tamarind to get soaked.
Slit the veggie into vertical pieces as shown below.
Along with this add the veggie and the required Salt.
Kovaykka KudamPuli Curry recipe
Kovaykka KudamPuli Curry
- 2-3 small fish tamarind
- 1.5 cups ivy gourd
- 1 cup shallots
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 spring curry leaves
- Soak this Kudam Puli in hot water before you prepare this dish.
- Crush Shallots and Ginger coarsely and fry it in coconut oil
- Add turmeric powder, Chilli powder & Coriander powder
- Saute it until the shallots turn brown. add Kudam Puli soaked water along with the tamarind.
- Along with this add the veggie and the required Salt.
- Close lid and let it boil for few min until it becomes thick and oil oozes out.
- Now again add water to this. Add a pinch of Sugar to this. let it boil again.
- season it with spluttered mustard seeds and curry leaves