How to make Meen pollichathu recipe | Fish Pollichathu Kerala style which is very popularly known as Karimeen pollichathu even though Karimeen (a fish variety ) is not used in the recipe- restaurants still name this dish as Karimeen pollichathu
Firstly we would need a full sized broad variety fish like Karimeen(Pearl spot), Vaaval(Pompret), etc which is broad but medium sized. Clean it well with rock salt to remove of the scales and dirt. Clean in running water plenty of times. We get the head cut so that its easy to clean the inside too.
Clean thoroughly and make deep slits on the fish on both sides. We get it
Regarding the Banana leaf – wash, dry and heat it in the direct stove so that it gets wilted slightly. this process is a must so that the leaf does not break when we fold and pack the fish.
Meen pollichathu recipe Kerala style
Meen pollichathu recipe
- 2 no whole fish
- 4-5 tbsp Coconut oil – For shallow frying fish and for masala
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2-3 tbsp tamarind water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 no banana leaf
to grind for marination
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 no lemon
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
Fried Coconut mix
- 1/4 cup coconut grated
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 pinch pepper powder
To crush coarsely
- 1.5 cups small onions
- 6-7 no garlic
- 1 no green chilli
- Firstly grind everything given under ” to grind for marination”. Apply it over the clean and slit fish on both sides. marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat coconut oil for shallow frying and fry the fish on both sides until toasted.
- Take it out to a plate and keep aside until use.
- Heat coconut oil in another pan and fry the grated coconut until golden brown and add curry leaves and pepper powder. Mix well and strain it to a bowl until use.
- In the same pan, coarsely grind onions, garlic, and green chilli and add to it. Fry until pale.
- Season with salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and fry well until raw smell leaves.
- Pour in tamarind water. Mix well until thick.
- Spread the masala all over the pan. Place the fried fish over the masala.
- Gently pour in the coconut milk all over the fish and masala. Close and cook until the coconut milk is absorbed.
- Open and pack the fish with the masala.
- Wilt a banana leaf in fire and place the fish on it along with the masala.
- Also, wither some fried coconut mix over it. Pack the banana leaf on all sides and secure it with a knot.
- Place the packed banana leaf on the pan and cook it for 10 minutes on both sides.
- Serve fresh and hot with sliced onions, tomatoes and lemon wedge.
Fish Pollichathu Kerala style
1.Firstly, Lets marinate the clean fish. For which We need the masala. Blend together Turmeric powder, chilli powder, pepper powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and curry leaves.
2. Apply the paste over the clean fish all over the fish especially in the slits. Apply the masala on both the sides and let the fish marinate for atleast 30 minutes to 1 hour before frying it.
3. Heat coconut oil for shallow frying the fish. Place the fish on the tawa and fry on both sides in simmer. Cook until roasted on both sides. Take it over in a plate and keep aside.
4. In a separate pan, Fry coconut until reddish brown and also add curry leaves and pepper powder. Mix well. Take it out to a plate and keep aside. We would need this while layering the fish on banana leaves.
5. Coarsely crush small onions, green chilli and garlic. Put it over in the same pan in which coconut was fried. Fry till pale and add salt to it. mix once.
6. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder. Mix well and fry for few seconds. Add tamarind water immediately so that it does not get charred. Mix well and cook until thick. Spread it all over the pan.
7. Place the fried fish over the masala and gently pour in thick coconut milk all over. Close and cook until all the coconut milk is absorbed. Cook only in simmer.
8. Open and pack the top layer on fish with the excess masala from the pan. Wilt the banana leaf in stove until soft and pliable. Place the Fish on the banana leaf.
9. Put some extra masala on top and also the fried coconut curry leaves mix over it. pack it and secure it with a knot.
10. Place the packed fish on the tawa and close cook for 10 minutes on medium heat. Turn over the banana leaf.
11. Close and cook again for another 10 minutes.
12. serve it hot and enjoy !
Serve it with sliced onions, sliced tomatoes and lemon wedge.