Paneer Lababdar is a very popular Punjabi dish served in many restaurants. Paneer is scrambled and cooked in an onion tomato base.
“Lababdar” means a strong desire of something and complete surrender to it. Lababdar as a term is often attached to many dishes to signify complete surrender of one’s taste buds to that dish.
Paneer Lababdar – Pictorial directions:
Paneer Lababdar recipe:
- 1 cup paneer
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 no cloves
- 1 no green cardamom
- 1 no black cardamom
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ginger juveniles
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp gram flour
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp crushed kasuri methi
- 1 slit green chilli
- Boil tomato, cardamom(green & black), cinnamon in water. when its rolling boil, put off strain and grind it to fine paste leaving out black cardamom
- heat oil/ghee, put in cumin seeds, bay leaf, ginger juveniles.
- add finely chopped onions and garlic. saute till onions are transparent
- add the ground tomato masala and let it cook until raw smell goes off
- add turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder. mix well
- when it forms a lump, add the gram flour and mix again.
- add water, salt and sugar to it.
- drop the grated paneer, paneer cubes and green chilli
- close and cook in medium flame until rolling boil
- open and add the garam masala and crushed kasuri methi. put off. serve hot with rotis.