Healthy oats masala idli recipe | Instant south Indian breakfast idly without rice with step by step pics and video recipe. Oats rava idly is very easy to make and with vegetables is a super healthy and tasty breakfast idea for kids, adults and weight watchers.
oats idli recipe without soda:
For oats idli without soda: I have added little bit of cooking/baking soda here in this recipe which can be replaced by fruit salt or without it. in that case, rest the batter for 30 minutes and then use but you will miss the super fluffiness in idli though it remains soft.
Vegetables used: Vegetables added here are capsicum, carrots and paneer. You can even add peas, beans but make sure all those are very finely chopped so that it blends in idli and does not stay odd looking.
Rava/sooji: I have used normal upma rava/sooji in this recipe.
Quick video of Healthy oats masala idli recipe:
Step by step instructions with pictures:
- firstly, we have to powder the oats.
- do not powder them fine neither coarse. it should be like in the pic
- next too prepare the idli batter, heat oil in a pan,
- crackle mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal
- when it turns slightly brown, add very finely chopped onions, carrots,capsicum, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves
- add all the veggies to pan.
- saute till onions turn transparent
- Now, add finely chopped paneer
- further, add rava to the vegetables. its in the 1:0.5 ratio. for 1 cup oats, add half cup rava.
- together, add the powdered oats.
- saute well until aromatic. approximately for a minute. but do not let it brown
- time to add masalas – turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt.
- mix again until masalas are well combined
- transfer it to a mixing bowl and let it cool down.
- to the rava oats mixture, add thick curd. (1 cup) measure equal to oats
- mix well with a fork until well combined
- lastly, add baking soda(optional) just a pinch
- mix with water little by little to get a idli batter consistency. (not so thin not so thick). I have used approximately half cup water
- mix it thoroughly for the soda is combine well with the batter
- place cashews or any vegetable piece on greased idli plates
- fill in the mould with batter and steam cook for 10-15 minutes.
- let it cool a bit and scoop out the idlis. to easily scoop out idlis, soon after opening the cooked idlis, cover the idli plate with another plate and rest it for a minute before scooping idlis out. also, wash the spoon you use to scoop, wet spoon doesn’t stick and idli easily comes out.
- serve hot with chutney of your choice.
Healthy oats masala idli recipe card:
Healthy oats masala idli recipe
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp chana dal
- 3/4 tsp urad dal split
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 small sized onion finely chopped
- 1 no green chilly finely chopped
- 2 tbsp carrots finely chopped
- 2 tbsp capsicum finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 2 tbsp panner finely chopped
- 1/2 cup rava/sooji
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1 cup curd
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
powder the oats and keep it ready
heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal
add chopped onions, carrots, capsicum, curry leaves, ginger and green chillies chopped.
fry until onions are pink
add paneer, rava, powdered oats and mix well
further add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt required.
mix well and let it cool down.
transfer to a mixing bowl, add curd, baking soda, water and mix to a idli batter consistency
place a cashew on the greased idli plate and pour the batter in moulds
steam cook for 15 minutes.
serve hot with your favorite chutney