Potato Biryani recipe | Aloo Biryani Recipe with step by step pics and video recipe. Potato rice or aloo rice is a best and carbo rich dish that can be packed for lunchbox. flavorful, nutritious and easy to make biryani with potatoes.
potato pulao is easy to make and kids will love the taste of ghee biryani. kids generally love potatoes and when in the form of biryani, they will love it for sure. this recipe is slightly spicy one, If you do not prefer spicy one, then adjust chilli powder/green chilies used in this recipe.
some of the potato recipes,
- potato masala fry
- Baby Potato Roast
- Drumstick potato fry
- barbeque nation style creamy potatoes
- potato curry leaves fry
- potato curry with garlic – lasaniya batata
- potato ridge gourd curry
- potato bittergourd fry
If you are interested in variety rice recipes/ vegeterian biryani/pulao kind of recipes, check out these few, meal maker biryani, chana biryani, purple cabbage biryani, hotel style sambar rice, vegetable biryani, ghee rice, etc.,
here is the quick video on how to prepare the potato biryani:
Now, lets see step wise description of making Potato Biryani:
- firstly, choose the rice you are going to use. Both basmati rice and seeraga samba rice can be used. I have used seeraga samba rice. method of preparing is same for both the rice.
- lets wash and soak the rice in water for 15 minutes.
- Grind together all these ingredients, shallots, ginger , garlic, mint leaves and green chilies.
- take it in a blender and blend to a fine paste and keep it ready.
- melt ghee in a cooker
- add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and fennel seeds
- add the prepared masala paste
- along with it, chopped potatoes are also added
mix well and saute until raw smell of masala goes off.
- when the masala is well sauted, add the finely chopped tomatoes.
- fry until the tomatoes are mushy
- further add all the masala powders required: turmeric, chilli powder, biryani masala. In case you don’t have the biryani masala, replace it with garam masala.
- Add little water. approximately 1/4 cup water and mix well until the masalas are well blended. water is added so that the masalas dont scorch at the bottom.
fry until you find a well blended masala. takes approximately 1 minute.
- Furthermore, add thick curd to the masala. If the tomatoes you are using are very sour, then adjust the curd quantity. if using hybrid tomatoes like i did in this recipe, then use the same quantity of curd.
- Mix well until well blended.
- Now, add the water required. For both basmati rice and seeraga samba rice, its 1:1 water quantity. since we have soaked in water for 15 minutes. it gets cooked very fast. we have already added 1/4 cup water for masala. so remaining 3/4 th water has to be added.
- close the pan and let it come to a rolling boil. this is important step before adding the rice. If rice is added before boiling the water, chances are there it may get mashed. so its important to boil the water before adding rice.
- Open when it starts boiling, and add salt to taste.
- drop in the soaked and drained rice. drain the water completely and add it to the cooker.
- Mix well so that rice, salt and masala gets mixed well.
- Now, pressure cook for just 10 minutes in lowest flame. If you get whistle before 10 minutes, then switch off immediately.
- open the cooker after the pressure gets settle down completely.
- add ghee on top and fluff it up with the fork
- fluff it up gently with fork until well mixed.
- when hot, the rice seems to be slightly moisturous, but when after few minutes keeping it open, it becomes dry and separated.
potato biryani recipe card:
potato biryani recipe
- 1 cup seeraga samba rice/basmati rice
- 3/4 cup shallots/small onions
- 8-10 nos mint leaves
- 3 nos green chillies
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 no bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 no cloves
- 3 nos cardamom
- 1 large potato chopped
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp biryani masala or garam masala
- 1/8 cup curd
soak the rice in water for 15 minutes.
grind together all ingredients mentioned under "to grind" section
melt ghee in cooker, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel seeds, cloves. let it crackle.
add prepared masala, chopped potatoes and fry well for a minute until raw smell goes off.
further add chopped tomatoes and fry until mushy
add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, biryani masala and sprinkle little water(1/4 cup) and mix well.
further, add curd and mix well.
add water required(3/4th cup) and close and let it boil
now drain the rice completely and add it to the cooker.
add salt, mix well and pressure cook for 10 minutes/1 whistle whichever is first.
open, add ghee and fluff it up with fork