Onion samosa recipe |Tea kadai samosa | irani samosa recipe – with step by step photos and video recipe. A deep fried snack recipe with homemade patties and ready made samosa sheets. Stuffed with masala Onion mix.
While I had it in the list, Samosa is broadly 2 different types – One is the simple triangular onion samosa/meat samosa that we get in tea shops mostly in south India. The other one is the north Indian variant that is used with mint chutney or sweet chutney and in chaat.
Here in this recipe, I have made sheets separately and cooked them as I was just planning to make 10-12 samosas and it was not a big deal. But if you are making a batch of it, Follow this recipe and she has clearly explained on that process. I always go for the easiest method if it doesn’t compromise on taste. 🙂 Honestly, I did not find any difference in the samosas made with that thin ready-made maida sheets and homemade wheat sheets.
While this south Indian tea kadai samosa is known as Burmese style samosa, It is the fact that this is not an Indian originated dish.
some of the snacks recipes are here that might interest you.
- Ragi butter murukku
- Ragi pakoda
- Pazham pori
- Chana chilli
Onion samosa recipe
Onion samosa recipe
For making Pastry sheets
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup maida
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/8 cup oil
- 4 large onions sliced
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp garam masala
- 1 pinch chaat masala
For making maida paste
- 2 tbsp maida
- water to make it a thick paste
For making sheets
- Mix in the wheat flour, maida, salt and oil in a bowl. Start kneading it to a smooth soft dough adding water.
- close it with a damp cloth and rest it for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, work the dough again and cut equal portions of it.
- Work each portion to a ball and dust enough to spread it out to a thin elongated disc
- Cut a rectangle of it. prepare all the balls to sheets the same way.
For the onion filling
- Heat oil and fry the sliced onions with salt until transparent.
- Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and chaat masala.
- Fry until raw smell leaves. Onion filling is ready.
To stuff the filling onto the sheets
- Fold the sheet thrice from one corner to other and vice versa to make it a triangle. Watch the video for better idea.
- Fill in the onion masala into it.
- Apply maida paste on the corners of the remaining sheet.
- fold it gently and secure all the ends by pressing it once.
Deep fry samosas
- Prepare all the samosas by filling onion masala.
- Heat oil in a kadai and when it is hot, put the samosas in. 3-4 at a time depending upon the kadai size.
- Turn sides often and Deep fry until golden brown.
- Take it out and serve hot !
Tea kadai Vengaya samosa with step by step pictures
For the pastry sheets
1.In a wide mixing bowl, take Wheat flour, Maida, salt and oil.
2.Mix well, add water little at a time and start kneading to a smooth soft dough.
3. Once its kneaded, cover it up with a clean damp cloth and let it rest for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Take it out and work again for 5 minutes. Roll it and cut it to equal sized portions.
5. Flatten each ball to a thin disc. Dust more than enough so that you are able to spread it to a very thin disc as much possible.
6. cut the disc to a rectangle of approximately 2 inch width.
7. Heat the tawa and cook the sheets in simmer until few bubbles are seen.Cook on both sides and take it out. Do not brown it or overcook it. Just heat it up on both sides.
If using readymade maida sheets, You can skip this process. Defrost it by placing the sheets out of the cover in a dry towel for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour before use.
For the onion stuffing
When the oil in a kadai is hot, add the sliced onions into it.
Add salt and start frying until transparent.
When the onions turn transparent, add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and chaat masala. Mix well and fry until raw smell leaves.
Note: Need not brown the onions, slight crunch can be retained.
Making Maida paste for the Onion samosa recipe
Meanwhile, In a small bowl, take maida and mix in little water to make it a semi-thick paste. We will be using this as an adhesive for the sheets.
Folding the pastry
Take either the readymade/homemade sheets and start folding it to a triangle thrice. Watch the video above for better understanding.
Fill in the onion masala and apply the maida paste on the corners of the leftover sheet.
Fold it gently and press the edges. Prepare all the samosas and keep it ready before you start frying it.
Heat oil and deep fry the samosas until golden brown.
Crispy crunchy and tasty onion samosas are ready to be served hot with Masala chai/cutting chai.