Vishu Kanji recipe | Vishu Special recipes |
Vishu as i have elaborately written about is a popular festival of Kerala consisdered as a malayalam new year and celebrated by all Hindu malayalees world wide.
This Vishu Kanji is
It is soaked for an hour before cooking and fresh coconut milk is only used in this recipe. This can be accompanied by coconut chammanthi / vellarika
Vishu Kanji recipe
Vishu kanji recipe
- 1/4 cup unakkalari/ any raw rice
- 1/4 cup matta rice
- 4 cups third and fourth extract coconut milk
- 2 cups second extract coconut milk
- 1 cup first extract coconut milk
- salt to taste
to cook mochai
- 1/8 cup puliavarakkai/ mochai/ mocha kotta
- 1 cup thin coconut milk (4th extract)
- 1 cup water
- roast the mochai/ puliavarakkai in cooker until spots appear. Add a cup of thin coconut milk and 1 cup water.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Wash and add raw rice and matta rice to a thick bottomed vessel. Add third and fourth extract coconut milk. Mix well. let it cook in medium heat until all the coconut milk is absorbed.
- when is rice is half cooked, add second extract coconut milk and cooked mochai. Mix well and cook till soft and mashable.
- Lastly, add first extract coconut milk, salt. mix well and just heat it up. serve it fresh with chammanthi/pickle.
How to make
palakkad vishu kanji recipe
1.In a bowl, take raw rice(unakkalari/any variety raw rice) and matta rice(or normal sona masoori) . Wash them well.
To pressure cook the raw rice and matta rice instead of cooking it in a pot, wash and take the rice together in a cooker. For 1/2 cup rice in total, add 4 cups third and fourth extract coconut milk. pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Open and follow the same process from step 6
2. Take them in a thick bottomed vessel. Add third and fourth extract coconut milk to it.
3. While it is getting cooked. In a cooker, roast the mocha/ puli varakka until you find spots on it.
4. Take third extract coconut milk + water in the cooker. Mix well and let it pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
5. When all the coconut milk is absorbed and rice will be half cooked. Takes 30-40 minutes in medium heat. Stir in between often so that rice does not stick to the bottom.
6. Pour in second extract coconut milk and the cooked mochai along with the water.
7. Mix well and cook until rice is soft and mashable. Takes 10 more minutes.
8. Lastly add thick/ first extract coconut milk, salt and mix well. Let it come to a boil and then put off.
9. Serve the kanji fresh with chammanthi.