Moru Curry Recipe | Moru Ozhichu Curry | Chembu Moru Curry| mor kuzhambu recipe | Moru Curry or Mor curry | Buttermilk curry with step by step photo and video recipe. Simple everyday curry recipe made with different vegetables of your choice, This recipe is with Chembu/colocassia/seppankilangu.
Mor Kulambu or Moru curry or Moru Ozhichu Curry is very important everyday delicacy in Kerala and is most commonly preferred dish because of its simple flavours. Also found to be cooked very commonly in tamilnadu.
Moru curry or buttermilk curry is made with different vegetables. most commonly with vegetables like white pumpkin, colocassia, yam, ladies finger, tomato, cucumber, ash gourd, Ripe mango & raw banana. Check out our other Onam Sadhya recipes. Most common of all the curries are White pumpkin moru curry.
Peeling Chembu is little difficult if those are very small. My mom used to just cook it with skin and peel them like we do for potato. Also few may be allergic to Chembu. In that case, you can replace it with pumpkin, cucumber or any other mor curry vegetables of your choice discussed above.
Tips for making perfect moru curry – Here are few tips for making perfect moru curry or mor kulambu / Mor kuzhambu. Firstly, the buttermilk or curd used for the curry has to be sour. Secondly, after adding the curd, the heat has to be maintained lowest and should not be cooked for longer time as the curry gets the curdled texture. To get the fine texture without curdle, it is suggested to add curd keeping the flame low and just heat it without letting it boil.
It is best to prepare any moru curry the previous night with fresh curd so that the curd gets sour by next noon and gives the apt flavour of the buttermilk curry.
Some of the recipes like varutharacha ulli sambar, pachai milagai kuzhambu, or the kanthari mulagu curry, vanpayar mathanga curry, koorka varutharachathu, Mathanga erissery are soem of the kerala style curry recipes that goes good with steamed rice.
Chembu Moru Ozhichu Curry video recipe
Moru Curry Recipe – pictorial Directions:
- Grind together grated coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds.
- Add little water
- make a fine paste and keep it ready
- Blend the curd until lump free.
- You can either whisk or mix with fork until smooth
- For the curry, firstly, place the cleaned vegetable (chembu) in an earthen pot,
- add water, turmeric powder
- Put in a slit green chilli into it
- Add the salt required for the curry
- and cook for 10 min or until the vegetable is done.
- Now add the ground coconut cumin paste
- Mix well
- pour little water
- Add a pinch turmeric powder
- and give it a boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared beaten curd and
- Stir continuously until it gets slightly heated up. If using earthen pot, I use to switch off after adding beaten curd, As the heat in it is sufficient.
- put off the stove and season the curry . For seasoning. Heat Coconut oil,
- splutter mustard seeds, when it pops,
- Add fenugreek seeds to the oil
- add red chilly, curry leaves and shallots to the oil. Adding shallots is optional. few don’t add it.
- to this, add a pinch of turmeric powder, chilli powder, fenugreek powder and a pinch salt.
- fry for half a minute
- add this seasoning to curry ,
- mix well and serve with steamed rice.
Chembu Moru Ozhichu Curry recipe
Mor Curry ~ Buttermilk Curry
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 no green chillies - for grinding
- 1 cup curd
- 10- 12 small sixed coloccasia
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 no green chilli - for curry
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 no red chilli - broken
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 7-8 no shallots - chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek powder
- salt a pinch
- Grind together grated coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds. make a fine paste and keep it ready
- Blend the curd until lump free.
- For the curry, firstly, place the cleaned vegetable (chembu) in an earthen pot, add water, turmeric powder and cook for 10 min or until the vegetable is done.
- Now add the ground coconut cumin paste and little water. Mix well and give it a boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared beaten curd and mix again.
- when it is heated, put off the stove and season it.
- For seasoning. Heat Coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds,and add curry leaves, red chilly, turmeric powder, chilli powder, fenugreek powder, salt a pinch, fry for half a minute
- add this seasoning to curry ,mix well and serve with steamed rice.