Kappa Ularthiyathu is a super simple recipe of seasoning cooked tapioca and having it as snack or main dish served with dark curries or red chilli chutney. This can be had as evening snack or just side dish with rice.
Am not a fan of Tapioca but few dishes I learnt from my in laws made me a fan of it. More than that, my son loves tapioca and so often we started making them at home. Kappa vevichathu is just boiling the tapioca and having it with red chilli chutney.
Kappa ularthiathu is just seasoning the tapioca with mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies. It can be had with mutton curry/chicken curry/kadala curry. Sometimes I prefer having it plain. There is another version with onion and garlic here
Variations to it:
- Add grated coconut at last to give a special taste
- Some recipes include chopped onion and green chillies just as a variation.
Kappa Ularthiyathu – pictorial directions:
Cook Tapioca with turmeric powder and salt. It should get overcooked. Cook it with water to 4-5 whistles
Splutter Mustard seedsFry in red chillies and curry leavesChop the cooked tapioca pieces into chunks and put them into the seasoning
Mix well and serve hot! with red chilli chutney and hot masala chai!
Kappa Ularthiyathu recipe:
- 3 medium sized tapioca
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 spring curry leaves
- 3 red chillies broken
- Clean tapioca skin and Pressure cook to 4-5 whistles with water, salt and turmeric powder.
- chop them into bite sized chunks and keep it ready
- splutter mustard seeds
- Put in red chillies and curry leaves. After a minute, add chopped tapiocas and mix well
- serve hot!