Pidi Karunai Roast | Karunai kizhangu fry with step by step photos and video recipe. simple fry recipe where the wild yam is precooked and tossed with a mild dose of spices.
This wild yam popular in south India and perhaps seasonal has its own unique taste and flavor. So, simple stir fry with very mild addition of spices in itself gives it a lift that is awesome.
Though this Karunai kizhangu is called as just yam, it has very different taste and look which is not like the Senai kizhangu/elephant foot yam. We usually precook the yam once with turmeric and salt for two reasons. Some of the root vegetables cause allergies, so precooking and discarding the water used for cooking helps to avoid the allergy caused. The second reason is salt gets absorbed well in the yam and that stir fry happens faster and perfect.
Some of the recipes using Yam:
Quick video of Wild yam roast
Pidi karunai roast
- 2 cups pidi karunai kizhangu – sliced of 1/2 inch thickness
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 slice lemon
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- wash and slice the wild yam. pressure cook the yam with water, turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice for 1 whistle.
- open and drain the excess water.
- Toss together chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala.
- heat oil in a pan and crackle fennel seeds.
- place the yam pieces on the pan along with a sprig of curry leaves.
- Gently toss the pan now and then until the yam is completely roasted.
step by step making of the pidi karunai roast
To make this pidi karunai varuval, firstly clean, remove the skin, wash the yam well and slice it of even thickness. Take it in a cooker along with water, turmeric powder, chilli powder.
Along with the spices, also add salt and lemon juice. Mix well and close the cooker.
Pressure cook for just 1 whistle. Open after pressure settles and drain the excess water.
To the completely drained yam, add turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and toss it gently.
Heat oil and crackle fennel seeds in it. place the yam pieces in the oil and shallow fry with some curry leaves.
Toss now and then and cook in medium heat until all the sides are roasted.
serve it hot with rice and curry.