Senai kizhangu masala Kongu style | Elephant Foot yam masala with step by step photos and video recipe. A Kongunad special dish which is very much popular in kongu weddings and in typical Kongu restaurants’ veg meals.
It’s got that addictive flavor of fennel and curry leaves! Similar to Chena Kootu curry made in Kerala, this one is a special dish with yam in Tamilnadu which is least cooked at home but most popular in weddings and hotels.
I took a couple of trials to decode this recipe having tasted in a mess near my home. Out of all the side dishes, this always attracts us with its masala aroma. Well, this also has a special name – “Kalyana veetu Senai masala”, Interesting?
Some of the recipes with Yam:
- Kurukku Kalan – a Kerala sadya dish- Yam coconut curry
- Yam stir fry kerala style – Chena Mezhukkupuratti
- Yam raw banana curry – Chena Kaya katti Kalan
Some of the Kongunad | Kongu style dishes:
- Kongu Mushroom Kulambu – Mushroom curry recipe
- Ragi pakoda
- Kongu Mutton Kulambu – Mutton curry kongunad style
- Arisi paruppu sadham -Rice and lentils variety rice recipe
- Arasanikkai poriyal – Yellow pumpkin stir fry recipe
Senai kizhangu masala Kongu style
senai kilangu masala recipe kongu style
to cook yam
- 2 cups Yam chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
to prepare the masala
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 no cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 no red chillies
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/3 cup small onion
- 4-5 no garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 no tomato chopped
to make the curry
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 handful curry leaves
To cook the yam
- Pressure cook clean and chopped yam along with salt, turmeric powder and enough water for a whistle.
- Let the pressure settle, open, drain and discard the water away.
To prepare the masala
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and add cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, red chillies, grated coconut and fry till reddish.
- Cool and blend it along with small onions, ginger, garlic and tomatoes to a fine paste.
To make the curry
- Heat coconut oil and crackle mustard seeds, fennel seeds and pour in the prepared masala paste.
- Cook in medium heat until the oil oozes out of the masala.
- Now add the cooked yam, salt to adjust, curry leaves and mix gently.
- Fry for a minute or two. Close the pan and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Elephant Foot yam masala
1.Clean and chop the Yam/ senai kilangu in bite sized pieces. Some like it to be cur large/ But this small chops help even cooking. I prefer it small. Wash it in running water at least 3-4 times. drain the water and take it in a cooker. Season with salt.
2. Turmeric powder is to be added along with water required to cook the yam. approximately 1.5-2 cups are added.
3. Mix well, Close and pressure cook. Just one whistle is enough if the yam is tender. If hard, then cook for 2 more whistles. Make sure the yam is not mushy but just cooked.
4. While it gets cooked, In another pan, Heat coconut oil and take cinnamon, cloves and fennel seeds and red chillies in it.
5. Mix once and add grated coconut. Fry in medium heat until reddish brown and crisp.
6. Cool it down and grind it along with small onions, ginger, garlic.
7. and tomatoes. Grind to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
8. In same pan, heat some more oil and crackle mustard seeds and fennel seeds. Pour in the prepared masala.
9. Keep frying in simmer until oil leaves out. May take 15-20 minutes. But take time and fry until you reach to the oily masala consistency.
10. When you can spot the flow of oil through the sides of masala, put in the cooked Yam(without the water). Drain and discard the water used for cooking Yam. This way, itching caused by the vegetable can be avoided.
11. Add salt to taste. remember we have added salt while cooking the vegetable. It’s just for the masala. Lastly, add fresh curry leaves a handful.
12. Mix gently without mashing the yam. Fry for a minute or two and then switch off the flame. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes before transferring the masala from the pan.
Serve the delicious Yam masala a.k.a senai kizhangu masala with rice and light curry of your choice.