Kootu curry kerala style recipe video:
Kootu curry recipe:
Boil black chick peas and yam separately to 3/4th with salt and keep it ready. it has to be intact in shape but mashable.
- soak the chickpeas overnight and pressure cook it with just enough water that it gets immersed to 3-4 whistles.
- cook chopped yam with turmeric and salt and just enough water to 2 whistles. open after pressure settles and check if it gets easily mashed but stays in shape. discard the water as it causes itching to many.
Cook chopped raw banana with salt, turmeric and just enough water in a vessel for 5- 10 minutes. I have used the water used for cooking chickpeas to cook the raw banana.
Heat coconut oil , splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves and red chilli to it. Now add remaining coconut and fry till its reddish in color .
Kootu curry recipe
- 1 cup black chick peas - soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup Yam - chopped
- 1/2 cup raw banana - chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut paste
- 3/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp jaggery powder
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 no Red chilli
- 2 spring Curry leaves
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 3/4-1 tbsp Pepper powder
- Boil black chick peas and yam seperately to 3/4th with salt and keep it ready. Do not cook it fully because we need to mix both and cook again. Yam will get mashed if cooked fully.
- Add both together and add turmeric powder and chilli powder, mix well.
- Grind half of the coconut grated with cumin seeds to a paste.
- Add the paste to the curry. Give it a boil and switch it off.
- Heat coconut oil in another pan , splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves and red chilli to it. Now add remaining coconut and fry till its reddish in color . Before its completely reddish, add pepper powder and fry it.
- Add the tempering to the curry along with jaggery powder and few drops of coconut oil. mix well and serve!