kathirikkai masiyal | Brinjal kadayal recipe – Simple recipe with brinjals, tomatoes, and very few ingredients. This curry can be had with idli, dosa, and even with rice.
Every dish has its own variations. When talking about kathirikkai kadayal, there are n no of recipes and cooking techniques which makes difference in the taste of the curry. Even a very small change can bring whole new dimension of the curry.
This recipe is from a humble dear friend of mine and is totally a kongu style traditional recipe. We make the brinjal bajji a little different in a pressure cooker while she suggested trying this method. addition of semi-cooked shallots was top class and my family including my little one has become a fan of this dish.
Making this kathirikkai kadayal is just a two step process
- Cooking the brinjal and tomato with few spices
The first step is to cook the brinjal and tomato along with very few ingredients in an open pan rather than a pressure cooker. The taste vastly changes if using a pressure cooker. Let it cook in medium heat until completely cooked and soft.
- Tempering the curry
lot of shallots are used for tempering and most importantly they are semi cooked keeping the slight crunch retained.
Some of the brinjal recipes
- biryani-dalcha-recipe, brinjal curry for biryani
- kathirikkai gothsu recipe
- vangi-bath-recipe – brinjal rice recipe
- brinjal chutney
- easy brinjal puli kuzhambu recipe
kathirikkai masiyal recipe video
How to make Brinjal bajji recipe
Cooking the brinjals and tomatoes
To make this dish, firstly take a deep pot/pan. I use mud pot for any kadayal/masiyal. Put in chopped brinjals and chopped tomatoes.
Also add chopped green chillies and salt. we dont add any other spices. So go ahead in adding enough green chillies for the spice.
Add enough water , close and cook until the vegetables are completely cooked and soft. Cook it in medium heat while stirring in between.
Open once done, Mash it well until there are no chunks found. add little water to bring it to consistency needed and check the salt.
Tempering the curry
Heat coconut oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
Prepare the shallots ahead. If bigger ones, cut it into two and keep them ready. Add salt and start frying until it turns translucent. Need not brown the onions.
Pour the tempering over the curry and mix well.
serve hot with idli/dosa.
Brinjal kadayal recipe
kathirikkai masiyal recipe
- 2 cups brinjal chopped roughly
- 2 no tomatoes chopped roughly
- 3 no green chilli chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3/4 cup small onions cut into two
- 1/8 tsp salt
- firstly, take the chopped brinjal, tomatoes, green chillies with salt, turmeric powder and water in a pot/pan.
- Mix everything. close and cook until soft.
- mash the curry until no chunks are found.
- heat oil and crackel mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- further add shallots and salt.
- fry until shallots turn translucent. do not brown the onions.
- add the tempering to the curry. mix well and serve.