chalna or dalcha is a popular and most loved side dish for mutton biryani. this Biryani Dalcha recipe is with step by step photos and video recipe. simple, easy and tasty side dish to go with biryani.
this particular dish is made very differently at different parts of india. even in tamilnadu, if you taste dalcha in muslim house its different. in restaurants its different. When i googled to find out authentic recipe, there are N no of versions and looks to this Biryani dalcha.
With help of my muslim friend, I got this recipe and this as she said is an authentic version unlike restaurant walas or recent days dalcha. So, I quickly wanted to try it out and it tasted just awesome.
this is non veg version of Dalcha. If you wanted the veg dalcha, then simply omit mutton and add vegetable stock if possible. adding mutton bone stock is very much a plus to this recipe.
Biryani Dalcha recipe
biryani dalcha recipe
- 4-5 pieces mutton bone
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 2 no bay leaves
- 1/2-1 inch cinnamon
- 5 no cloves
- 1 cup onion – sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3/4 cup tomatoes
- 2 cups brinjal chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1 cup tamarind water
- 1/8 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- pressure cook mutton and dal with water, turmeric powder, and salt upto 8 whistles.
- open and discard the mutton pieces and mash the dal well.
- heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds and urad dal. add together bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, onion, ginger garlic paste.
- fry until onions are brown.
- further add chopped tomatoes and fry until mushy.
- when the tomatoes are mushy, add brinjal, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well.
- add the mashed dal, tamarind water, garam masala. mix well. close and cook in medium heat for 20 mins
- open and mix well. garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
mutton and brinjal dalcha recipe
1.take clean mutton bone pieces and chana dal (kadalai paruppu) in pressure cooker.
2. add water, turmeric powder and salt. pressure cook for 8 whistles.
3. meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and season with mustard seeds, urad dal, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and mix well.
4. add sliced onions and ginger garlic paste. fry until brown.
5. further add chopped tomatoes and fry until mushy.
6. furthermore, add brinjal, salt, chilli powder, coriander powder and mix well.
7. open the pressure cooker once pressure settles, discard the mutton pieces and mash the dal well. since it is bone pieces we discard it off. If you prefer adding it, you can add it at later stage.
8. mash here and there with few pieces of dal as such.
9. add the coarsely mashed dal to the brinjal curry along with the tamarind water. I have soaked lemon sized tamarind in 1 cup warm water.
10. lastly add garam masala and mix well.
11. close and cook for 20 mins on medium heat until you see oil specs all over.
12. mix very well. adjust consistency as per your taste. lastly add chopped coriander and serve with biryani.
delicious biryani mutton brinjal dalcha is ready to be served