corn rava upma recipe | broken corn rava upma |
corn rava upma recipe | broken corn rava upma with step by step photos and video recipe. Corn rava also known as makai or makka cholam is not known known for its taste but also for its health benefits.
This broken corn rava upma recipe is very simple, easy to make like the regular rava upma. only difference being the time taken to cook the corn rava is little longer than the usual one.
I have tried both the methods of boiling the water and adding the rava also without boiling water. I loved the second version becomes it gives the rava ample time to get cooked. so it tends to be soft and fluffy in texture.
I have added coconut milk to this upma just like how we add cows milk to normal upma. believe me, coconut milk and corn is such an awesome combination. try it yourself and let me know the results.
broken corn rava upma recipe
broken corn rava upma recipe
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup corn rava
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp urad dal
- 1/4 tsp chana dal
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp green chilli chopped
- 4-5 no cashew broken
- 2 no red chilli broken
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/8 cup onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water to cook vegetables
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut grated
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and roast the corn rava until fragrant and crumbly.
- take it in a plate and keep it aside until use.
- heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan, crackle mustard seeds and add urad dal, chana dal, cumin seeds, ginger chopped, green chilli chopped, cashews, red chillies, curry leaves, onion .
- fry until onions are transparent and then add chopped vegetables, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- add 1/4 cup water, close and let it cook until vegetables are soft and cooked.
- open and add 1 cup water, adjust salt until water is slightly salty. add grated coconut and roasted corn. mix well.
- lastly add coconut milk . mix again.
- close and cook in simmer until the rava is cooked and water is absorbed.
- lastly add chopped coriander leaves and mix again.
- close and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
corn rava upma recipe
1.heat oil in a pan and roast the corn rava in it.
2.roast in medium heat until it is aromatic and crumbly in texture. takes approximately 1-2 minutes on medium heat. take it to a plate and keep it aside until use.
3. heat oil in the same pan and crackle mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, cumin seeds, cashews, red chilli , chopped ginger and chopped green chillies.
4. further add chopped onions and fry until it turns transparent. need not fry until brown.
5. add mixed chopped vegetables of your choice along with turmeric powder.
6. add salt and mix well.
7. add 1/4 cup water for the vegetables to get cooked. close and cook for 5-10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
8. now add water, salt to taste. i have added 1 cup water. we will have to add 1.25 cup liquid for 0.5 cup of corn rava. this may extend from 1.25 to 1.5 cups of liquid based on rava quality. here in this recipe, For 1.25 cups of liquid – I have taken 1 cup water + 0.25 cup of coconut milk. If you do not prefer adding coconut milk, directly add 1.25 cups water instead. (1:2.5 is the ratio). add salt to taste and check the taste of water, it has to slightly salty.
9. add grated coconut and roasted corn as well.
10. mix well and lastly add coconut milk 0.25 cup. it is not advisable to add salt after adding coconut milk in any dish. so add salt before hand. mix well and lastly add coconut milk.
11. mix well. close and cook in simmer until all the water is absorbed. takes 8- 10 minutes.
12. open and mix it well. add chopped coriander leaves and mix again. switch off. close and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. this will make the upma soft and fluffy.
serve the upma super hot with sugar/idli podi /pickle/coconut chutney