Varutharacha meen curry – flavor-packed fish curry Kerala style made with a freshly prepared coconut masala.
The Colour and taste of the curry are in roasting the coconut until reddish-brown in low flame. Moreover, I have used tamarind in this curry instead of fish -tamarind(Kudampuli). check out this varutharacha curry using kudampuli.
After adding fish, the curry should be mixed too much. Add salt a little bit extra in the curry for the fish pieces as well. As the fish will be cooked only for 5 minutes, adding salt later may not impart the taste in the pieces.
The curry has to be set undisturbed for 10-20 minutes or even longer for best taste. I prefer to cook in the early morning and let it rest until noon. It tastes best the next day. “Nethu vecha meen kulambu” tastes best as we all know.
some of the other fish curry recipes:
How to make fish curry Kerala style
Fish curry Kerala style
varutharacha meen curry
to roast and grind
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3/4 tsp peppercorns
- 10 no red chillies
- 2.5 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 lemon sized tamarind soaked in 2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp garlic chopped
- 2 tsp ginger chopped
- 1 no green chilli slit
- 10-12 nos small onions slit
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 10-12 medium fish pieces
- salt to taste
- Dry roast all the ingredients given under "to roast and grind" until the coconuts turn reddish-brown.
- cool and grind it to a fine paste and keep it aside until use.
- Soak tamarind in warm water and keep it aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a mud pot and crackle mustard seeds.
- Fry chopped garlic, chopped ginger, green chillies, small onions, and curry leaves until onions turn brown.
- Further, add chopped tomatoes and fry till mushy.
- Add prepared masala, water, salt, tamarind water.
- mix well. close and cook for 10 minutes.
- Open and reduce the flame to low. add the fish pieces, mix gently.
- close and cook for 5 minutes.
- open, mix once, put off the flame and close again. rest for a few hours before serving.
Varutharacha meen curry recipe
To make this varutharacha fish curry recipe, firstly, let’s prepare the fresh masala. we would need to roast and grind the spices. For which, in a pan, take the grated coconut, fenugreek, peppercorns, garlic, coriander seeds, red chillies and start frying it on medium heat.
Keep frying until the coconut turns golden brown like in the pic below.
Let it cool and grind it to a fine paste. keep it aside until use.
Heat coconut oil in a mud pot, crackle mustard seeds. add chopped garlic, chopped ginger, slit green chillies and sliced small onions.
Also, add curry leaves and fry until the onions are slightly brown.
Further, add chopped tomatoes and fry till mushy.
Add the prepared masala and water washing out the blender.
Let’s pour the tamarind water that has been soaking. (Soak 1 lemon sized tamarind in 2 cups warm water, squeeze the pulp and strain it). Add turmeric powder.
Season with salt and mix well.
Close cook for 10 minutes. The raw smell of masala would be gone by now.
Keep the flame low and gently drop the clean fish pieces into the curry. Mix once.
Close and cook in simmer/medium heat for 5 minutes and put off the flame.
Open and mix once. close again and rest until you serve. the colour of the curry gradually changes with the fatty glaze layer on top.
serve it with rice and fish fry