Ponnanganni Keerai sambar recipe |South indian sambar
Ponnanganni Keerai sambar recipe |Spinach sambar with step by step photos and video recipe. simple lentil and spinach based curry recipe for rice and can be had as a side dish for Tiffin.
Needless to mention about the benefits of eating the superfood greens often. It is the best habit to inculcate the greens in our diet at least 3 times a week and to try all the variety of greens in a turn.
I also learned about the meaning of ponnanganni as “Golden Eye” that is eating ponnanganni improves your eyesight and keeps it glowing. Not only for eyes but even to get glowing skin, this is to be consumed very often.
Some of the recipe with greens:
Ponnanganni Keerai sambar recipe
Ponnanganni keerai sambar recipe
- 3/4 cup tur dal
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 cups Ponnanganni keerai/water amaranth Chopped
- 1.5 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 large pinch asafoetida
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 cup drumstick sambar cut
- 1/4 cup tamarind water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- 1.5 tsp ghee
- Pressure Cook the tur dal with enough water to 3-4 whistles. Mash and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a pot and crackle mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida, onions and fry the onions till brown.
- Further add tomatoes and fry till mushy.
- When the tomatoes are cooked and soft, add drumstick, salt, turmeric powder, tamarind water and water.
- Mix well and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Open and add the chopped greens and cook till they are soft.
- When the greens are cooked, add cooked dal, sambar powder, water(if required) and let it boil for 5 more minutes.
- lastly, add ghee, mix again and serve hot!
water amaranth sambar recipe with step pics
1.To make the spinach sambar, firstly we need to cook the tur dal. Wash and take the tur dal in a cooker and add just enough water. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Open, mash it and keep it ready.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds. When it crackles, add the roughly chopped onions. Fry the onions until they turn slightly brown.
3. Further, add chopped tomatoes and fry till mushy.
4. Later, add drumsticks, tamarind water to the onion tomato mix. To extract the tamarind water, soak a gooseberry sized tamarind in 1/4 cup water and squeeze out the pulp. If adding local tomatoes, skip the tamarind as the sambar may go tangy.
5. Following to the tamarind water, Turmeric powder and water is added.
6. Lastly, salt is added and mixed well.
7. Close and let the vegetable(drumstick) get half cooked. approximately 5 minutes on high heat. Open after that when it is bubbling hot.
8. Now add in the cleaned, thoroughly washed and chopped greens into the pot. Let it cook open until the leaves are soft and cooked. You need to taste the leaf to check if it is cooked well. because each greens takes its own time to get cooked.
9. When the greens are cooked, add cooked and mashed tur dal and mix well.
10. Furthermore, sambar powder is added and mixed without any lumps. Boil the sambar further for 5 more minutes. You can add water to make it thin if needed.
11. Lastly, top it with ghee and mix once again.
serve the ponnanganni keerai sambar hot with rice and poriyal.