Adai dosai recipe with step by step pics and video recipe. simple, healthy, traditional south Indian pancake/dosa recipe that includes all the essential lentils to make it a protein-rich breakfast.
Well, two adai dosai for the breakfast will make it way too heavy and I simply love the roasted adai with a lot of small onions. Rather than adai avial, we love adai with white classic thenga chutney.
We make this once every month and the batter we grind is just enough for 2-3 breakfasts and not more than that. Altogether makes 20-25 adai.
The other option of making an interesting dish out of the leftover adai batter is adai upma/kothuvaratti. Using gingely oil for making this dosa makes it extra tasty. Adding more small onions not only enhances the taste but it has a cooling effect over the lentils.
Adai dosai recipe
adai dosai recipe
- 1 cup idli rice
- 1 cup Raw rice
- 1/2 cup black urad dal
- 1/4 cup chana dal
- 1/4 cup tur dal
- 1/4 cup moong dal
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
To add before grinding
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 4 nos red chillies
- 10-12 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- salt to taste
To add after grinding
- 1/4 cup small onions – chopped
- 2 sprig curry leaves – broken
- 2 tsp oil – for making dosas
- Soak all the ingredients mentioned under the "to soak" section for 4-5 hours.
- Drain the water completely and add the remaining ingredients except oil, small onions and curry leaves. .
- Grind to a coarse batter. Add small onions and curry leaves.
- Mix well and adjust the consistency.It has to be medium thick.
- spread it to a medium thick dosa on the prepared dosa pan.
- Spread oil all over and cook for a minute. Turn and Cook on both sides.
- serve hot with coconut chutney.
- In the same batter, add little more water and spread it out little big and thin to get the crispy adai dosai.
- You can also add asafoetida to the batter
- adding more small onions to the batter enhances the taste of the batter. Don’t replace it with big onions.
How to make adai dosa recipe with step by step pics
1. Take all the ingredients that are needed to be soaked (idli rice, raw rice, tur dal, moong dal, chana dal, black ural dal, fenugreek seeds) in a large pot and wash it well under running water atleast 4-5 times until the water is clear.
2. Soak it in more than enough water for 4-5 hours.
3. Drain the water completely and add peppercorns, cumin, ginger, garlic, red chilli and salt. Grind it to a semi coarse batter. Not so fine and neither coarse.
4. Lastly, add chopped shallots, broken curry leaves and mix well. The batter consistency have to be thick and not too thin.
5. Spread it over the greased dosa pan and drizzle few drops of oil all over.
6. When one side is cooked, turn over and cook the other side as well.
In the same batter, add little more water and spread it out little big and thin to get the crispy adai dosai.