Now, lets see How to make Aviyal /South Indian Avial Recipe in this quick video:
Kerala Style Aviyal Recipe | aviyal recipe step wise pictorial description:
First step is to grind the coconut paste. take a cup coconut grated and add green chilly, cumin seeds and grind it to a coarse paste.
take all the vegetables in a thick bottomed vessel, pressure cooker or thick base pan and layer the vegetables according to its time to cook. yam, raw banana and thick vegetables go to the bottom. white pumpkin and other watery vegetables to the top. add salt and little water. close and cook until vegetables are done. Usually we dont add water as the water from the vegetables are enough for cooking. but sometimes it may scorch the bottom of pan. So for safer side, add little water. very little water and cook until done. Vegetables I have used here is sweet pumpkin, carrots, beans, flat beans, cluster beans, yam, raw banana, drumsticks and white pumpkin
when the vegetables are done, add the ground coconut paste and toss well. do not use ladle as the vegetables may get mashed. toss the pan gently to mix the coconut evenly with all the vegetables. just heat it up for not more than 5 minutes. after 5 minutes, add the curd (beaten curd). If possible give it a quick pulse and add it to the curry.
Mix gently so that curd gets evenly mixed with vegetables. need not heat it up, just switch off. the heat of the vegetables is enough. at this stage adjust salt.
Add fresh curry leaves and drizzle some coconut oil. close and let it sit for 5-10 minutes for the flavour of curry leaves and coconut oil to set in. open and mix again.
Kerala Style Aviyal Recipe
- 1/2 -3/4 kg mixed vegetables sliced
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 nos green chillies
- 1 cup curd
- salt to taste
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- grind coconut, cumin and green chillies to a coarse paste
- add all the vegetables to thick bottomed pan.
- ad salt and little bit of water. close and cook until vegetables are done.
- now add the ground masala and gently toss the pan to mix the vegetables with the coconut.
- let it get heated up until raw smell goes off. need not cook for more than 5-10 minutes.
- at this stage, add beaten curd, adjust salt. mix well
- lastly, add curry leaves, coconut oil.
- switch off. close and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until flavours set in.