Chena Kaya Kalan | sadya kalan recipe | katti kalan
Chena Kaya Kalan | sadya kalan recipe | katti kalan reciep with step by step pictures and video recipe. learn how to make this simpe and perfect sadya kalan. there is another version of it known as kurukku kalan where the process of thickening the buttermilk happens.
there is simple kalan made with chena/yam alone and this recipe is with yam and raw banana. while choosing raw banana it is always good to get the nendran raw banana for authentic and traditional taste in the outcome. also two important points to note is,
- grind the coconut paste very very smooth and silky.
- use thick and sour curd, whisk it well with fork until smooth before you add it to curry.
- while adding curd switch off and let the curry cool a bit. when u add the curd to piping hot curry, it definitely curdles or at least changes the texture.
- the vegetable pieces in kalan should never be mashed. it should be cooked and soft but not mashed. so use spoon or fork to mix the coconut curd with the vegetable.
- use fresh homemade butter for best taste.
quick video of making kurukku kalan | katti kalan recipe
step wise pics of making the sadya kalan recipe
1.chop the raw banana and yam to bite sized pieces – wash well and soak in water until use. take it in the pan and add water, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt. you can also mix pepper powder in water and strain it to the vegetable.
mix well and let it boil until the vegetable is soft and cooked. takes 15-20 minutes in medium heat. check by cutting a piece with spoon. it should be easily cut.
meanwhile, grind together coconut, cumin seeds, green chilli and curd. grind it to a smooth paste and add it to the cooked vegetable.
add the ground paste to the vegetable and mix well with spoon. keep the flame in simmer. let it get heated up.
now put off the flame and let the curry cool down a bit. after that add curd and fresh butter. mix well. switch on. this method allows
add melted ghee and mix again. when it gets heated up, put off flame and set aside.
heat coconut oil and pop in mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, red chilli and fenugreek seeds. fry until crisp.
add the seasoning to the curry and mix well with spoon.
serve fresh with rice and sides.
recipe card of kalan recipe
sadya kalan recipe
- 0.75 cups raw banana chopped
- 0.75 cups yam chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 no green chilli
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 cup curd
- 1/2 cup thick curd
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tsp ghee
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 no red chilli
- 1 pinch fenugreek seeds
- cook the chopped raw banana and yam with 2-3 cups water, turmeric powder, pepper and salt until soft.
- grind coconut, cumin, green chilli and curd to a very fine paste.
- add the coconut paste to the cooked vegetable and mix well with spoon or fork
- after a minute, add the whisked curd and butter. mix well
- lastly add ghee and mix well. let it get heated up. put off flame and take it off stove.
- for seasoning. heat coconut oil and pop in mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, fenugreek seeds and red chilli.
- add the seasoning to the curry and mix well.