in the finger licking sides, this is one such recipe which everyone would like to taste as soon as it is served in sadya. it has so much to do in the sadya. its major role is to help in digestion. when you have a complete sadya, sides like this helps in digesting the meal and is important in any meal.
quick video of Inji puli recipe
step wise pics of making Inji puli thrissur style
- as a very first step soak the tamarind in warm water for 30 minutes and squeeze it with hands to extract maximum. keep it aside before you start making the dish.
2. clean and finely chop the ginger. heat oil in a pan and add the chopped ginger to it.
3. fry the ginger pieces until they are roasted and turns dark brown.
4. move the fried ginger to one side of the pan so that oil leaves the other side. If not tilt the pan slightly so that all the oil from ginger leaves out and take the ginger in a blender and blend coarsely. keep it aside until use.
5. In the same pan in same oil, pop in mustard seeds and then add curry leaves.
6. Slit the green chillies on all sides without cutting it and drop it in the pan. fry for half a minute.
7. Add asafoetida a pinch and prepared tamarind water to it. filter out the tamarind while adding tamarind water.
8. Further add turmeric powder and salt to taste.
9. Let ti boil well for a minute and then add the fried ginger paste.
10. Mix well and let it boil again in medium heat until it thickens and reduces in quantity.
11. once it thickens, add jaggery powder and mix well. let it boil again whiel you stir in between. cook until oil leaves the sides and it gets to thick thokku/pickle like consistency.
recipe card of Inji puli thrissur style
inji puli thrissur style
- 1/2 cup tamarind
- 1/4 cup water
- 2.5 cups ginger chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 5-6 nos green chilli slit
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp jaggery powder
- soak the tamarind in 2 cups warm water for 30 water and squeeze the extract and keep it ready
- add oil to the pan and fry chopped ginger until brown and roasted. take it in the blender and blend to a coarse paste
- to the same oil, pop in mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillies slit, asafoetida and fry for half a minute.
- filter and add tamarind water to the pan along with turmeric powder, salt and let it boil until thick
- once thick add jaggery and mix again.
- cook in simmer until oil leaves the sides of the pan. cool and store in air tight container.