Mushroom Kulambu recipe | Kongunad Kalan Kulambu with step by step photos and video recipe. simple, easy and tasty mushroom curry that is best suitable for idli and dosa.
kongunad recipes are mild in spices. made with abundant small onions, coconut and yellow shaded curries rather than brown ones. I love the typical ones and the smell is totally different from the rest of the curry types.
simple, light and onion coconut flavored curry is one of the best option for piping hot idlis. We love to soak the idlis in this kulambu and have it hot ! do try and let me know how it is. In my house, its always a rule to prepare kulambu for idli even though chutneys are there.
Kongunadu Style Kalan kuzhambu Recipe for idli and dosa
kongunad mushroom kulambu recipe
to saute and grind
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small piece cinnamon
- 2 no cloves
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3/4 cup small onions
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 no green chilli
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 cup coconut grated
- 3/4 tsp khus khus/poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
for the curry
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic crushed
- 1 no tomato chopped roughly
- 200 gms mushrooms sliced
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- to saute and grind: heat oil in a pan and add cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin seeds, pepper corns, onions, green chilli and curry leaves.
- fry until transparent. add grated coconut, poppy seeds and fry for a minute.
- lastly add turmeric powder and mix well. cool and grind it to a fine paste.
- for the curry: heat oil in the pan and crackle mustard seeds.
- add curry leaves and chopped onions and add crushed ginger and garlic.
- fry until raw smell leaves.
- further add tomatoes and fry for a minute.
- after a minute, add mushrooms and fry for a minute again.
- furthermore, add prepared masala, 1.5-2 cups water, salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
- close and cook for 10 – 15 minutes on high heat.
- open and add chopped coriander leaves. mix once and serve hot with idli /dosa.
Kongunad mushroom Kulambu recipe
1.heat oil in a pan and add cinnamon, cloves, coriander seeds, small onions to it.
2. also add cumin seeds, pepper corns, green chilli, curry leaves and fry until brown.
3. add grated coconut and poppy seeds. mix well. fry for a minute. need not brown the coconut.
4. lastly add turmeric powder, mix well. cool and grind it to a fine paste.
5. add oil to the pan and crackle mustard seeds, curry leaves. also add chopped onions.
6. crush the ginger garlic and add them to the pan. fry until the onions are transparent. again, you need not brown them.
7. add chopped tomatoes and fry for a minute.
8. clean and slice the mushroom pieces. add them and fry until well combined.
9. add the prepared masala paste along with 1.5-2 cups water. adjust consistency as per your need. we like it very thin to be had with idlis.
10. lastly add turmeric powder, mix well. close and cook for 10 minutes on high heat until mushrooms are cooked and raw smell of masala leaves.
11. open and add fresh coriander leaves. mix well.
serve the mushroom curry with dosa/ idli.