Brinjal chutney recipe | Kathirikai Chutney for Idli & Dosa
Brinjal chutney recipe | Kathirikkai chutney recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. brinjal or eggplant chutney or vankaya pachadi is very simple and tasty recipe for dosa and idli. We often make the kathirikkai kadayal/ brainjal curry and this one is very similar to that but in the chutney form.
In this recipe, i have used pressure cooker to make this chutney. Instead you can also just add water, close and cook. To make the process easy and fast, i have used the pressure cooker and i prefer this method as the brinjal gets cooked well and gets almost mashed .
You can either use the hand blender to blend it smooth or put it in the mixie jar/blender and blend to fine paste. I have add the tempering initially and then grinded the chutney. You can follow the same or skip the tempering initially and do it at last as like other chutneys.
There are more than 30 chutney recipes here. Check them out to try different ones.
Brinjal chutney recipe | Kathirikkai chutney recipe : video
Brinjal chutney step by step recipe
- heat oil in a cooker, crackle mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal. when it crackles, add chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped brinjals, salt to taste. Since we are going to pressure cook. Need not fry the onions.
- To this, add turmeric powder, chilli powder, water enough for the brinjal to get cooked. garlic cloves are also added along. It is like a one pot recipe. You just have to add everything to the cooker and pressure cook.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on high flame. open after pressure releases and mash it well. You can either mash it well using hand blender, masher or even grind it in mixer. I have used hand blender here.
Brinjal chutney recipe | Kathirikkai chutney recipe card:
Brinjal chutney recipe
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1 cup brinjal finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 4 cloves garlic
- Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and when it crackles, add all the ingredients together in a pressure cooker.
- add enough water, salt and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or until mushy
- open and mash it well or blend it to smooth chutney consistency.