Kathirikkai Gothsu recipe | Chidambaram brinjal gothsu is a simple, tasty side dish for idli and dosa and also for pongal. this is especially famous in chidambaram were gothsu is served with ven pongal.
some of the brinjal dishes:
- Vangi bath recipe | Brinjal rice recipe| Karnataka style vangi bhath recipe
- Brinjal chutney recipe | Kathirikai Chutney
- Easy Puli kuzhambu recipe | Kathirikkai puli Kulambu | easy tamarind gravy for rice
quick video recipe:
step by step pics for brinjal gothsu recipe:
firstly, we have to prepare the gothsu powder. dry roast coriander seeds, chana dal and red chilli till brown. cool and grind to a fine powder.
In same pan, fry shallots/small onions, chopped potatoes, chopped brinjal. fry till it is slightly reddish. cool and transfer to a mixer. blend to a coarse paste.
again, in the same pan, heat oil, pop in mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, chopped green chilli, curry leaves, chopped onions. fry till brown.
further add tamarind water. soak a lemon sized tamarind in 1.5 cups water.
when the tamarind water comes to a rolling boil, add prepared gothsu powder. not all will be required but 2 tbsp will be fine. check the taste and you can add finally also.
further add the cooked and mashed potato brinjal and mix well.
drizzle oil over it and a pinch of asafoetida. mix, close and cook for 5-10 minutes.
open and mix well. serve hot with pongal/idli/dosa.
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 9-10 dry red chillies
- 2.5 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup small onions
- 1/2 cup chopped potatoes
- 3/4 cup brinjal chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 no green chilli - chopped
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 1.5 cups tamarind water
- firstly for making gothsu powder, dry roast coriander seeds, chana dal and red chillies until it is slightly reddish. cool and grind to fine powder.
- heat oil in same pan, fry onions, potatoes and brinjal until roasted. cool and grind coarsely
- heat oil again in same pan and pop in mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, green chilli chopped and chopped onions.
- fry until onions are slightly brown. further add tamarind water and let it come to a rolling boil.
- when it is boiling, add gothsu powder, ground potato brinjal paste and mix well
- add a pinch of asafoetida, water, drizzle some oil over it, close and cook for 5-10 minutes until oil leaves the sides.
- open and mix again. serve with idli/dosa/pongal.
- adding potato thickens the gravy but it is optional
- you can also boil the brinjal instead of frying