Aval vilayichathu | aval varatiyathu recipe | sweet poha recipe
Aval vilayichathu | aval varatiyathu recipe | sweet poha is given in the temples in Kerala as prasadam. poha/aval will not be soaked in water or be soft. the specialty of this particular dish is that you can keep it for longer for even up to 2-3 weeks refrigerated.
video recipe of aval vilayichathu:
step by step pictures of making aval vilayichathu:
Add jaggery to a pan and add green cardamom, dry ginger and water.
let it melt while stirring to a one string consistency. one string consistency can be tested by touching a pinch of syrup from the ladle in your index finger and press slightly between index and thumb finger. when a string/thread is formed its done. at this stage, put off and strain the jaggery syrup to another pan.
add grated coconut to the jaggery and mix well. let the moisture come out of the coconut and mix together.
further add poha/beaten rice. I have used red poha. you can also use the white one. along with the poha, add the chopped bananas. choose any variety of banana but a fully ripe one. mix well until well combined.
move it onto one side of the pan and add ghee to another side. add sesame seeds and fry until it pops. when it starts popping, mix everything together.
Aval vilayichathu recipe
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 1 no green cardamom
- 1/4 tsp dry ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 3/4 cup red poha/aval
- 2-3 tbsp chopped bananas
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp sesame seeds white or black
- melt the jaggery with water specified, cardamom and dry ginger. melt till the syrup reaches one string consistency.
- strain and add it to another pan. further add grated coconut and mix well until it releases some moisture
- add poha, chopped bananas and mix well in simmer.
- move the mixture to one side of the pan and melt ghee on the other side.
- add sesame seeds to ghee and fry till it pops. when it pops, mix it along with the poha.
- you can use white poha instead of red one
- Shelf life of this is generally 3-4 days. if you wanted to store for longer than that, refrigerate.