Arisi paruppu sadham recipe coimbatore style | Kongunad Dal rice | Paruppu rice with step by step photos and video. This recipe of arisi (rice) paruppu (dal) sadham (cooked rice) is very special across Coimbatore belt. Simple and easy to make variety rice.
As soon as I thought of posting this recipe, lots of flashback came into mind. My mom use to cook arisi paruppu sadham for both of us (me and my mom) If my dad is out of town. She adds lot of garlic than in this recipe and makes it mushy. We both use to chit chat and have it very hot with pickle and appalam. awesome times!
Not only this but i remember my childhood neighbour “kannama akka” – thats how my mom use to call her. She is so nice and prepares this very often. she calls this paruppu sadham, one of her default menu 2-3 times a week.
there are some tips here –
- Unlike other khichdis, tomatoes should not be fried till mushy
- onions and tomatoes must be roughly chopped not finely
- peppercorns, green chilli and red chilli together in equal proportion in spice level makes this rice super tasty.
- Add a dash of ghee while serving
- use more garlic if you love garlic flavor in between and dont fry any of these too mush.
My In laws use to make a slightly different one. they use to roughly grind spicesand garlic(with skin) to coarse powder and make this rice which is totally a different flavor. May be thats erode style arisi paruppu sadham, I will try to post it very soon.
Pin for later:
Arisi paruppu sadham recipe coimbatore style video recipe:
Arisi paruppu sadham recipe with step by step pics:
- Firstly, heat sesame oil in a pressure cooker, crackle mustard seeds, chana dal and cumin seeds. when it crackles, add green chilli, red chilli and curry leaves to the cooker. along with it also add garlic chopped and fry for just 30 seconds to season the oil with the spices and to let the aroma come out.
- Next, add peppercorns and roughly chopped onions. fry till onions are transparent.
- further add roughly chopped tomatoes and fry for half a minute. need not fry till mushy.
- Wash rice and dal in running water and keep it ready. Generally we use to soak the rice and dal before cooking. But it is optional. For busy morning cooking, we will not be able to soak the rice and dal. So at least wash them first and soak in water until use. after adding rice and dal, add turmeric powder.
- add water. 3.5 cups to 4 cups of water is required. depending upon the rice and dal quality this measurement may vary. Sometimes to make it mushy, we add even 5 cups water. so 3.5 cups for 1 cup rice is normal to get withered not sticky rice. adjust more based on your preference.
- add salt to taste. taste the water and it has to be slightly salty.
- close and pressure cook for exactly 3 whistles on medium flame.
- let the pressure settle down and then open it.
- Fluff it up gently with a fork or ladle. It will be slightly moisturous but when it cools down, it becomes dry. serve hot with pickle and fryums/papad
Arisi paruppu sadham recipe card:
Arisi paruppu sadham recipe coimbatore style
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1 no green chilli - slit
- 3 no red chilli
- 4-5 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 medium onion - roughly chopped
- 1 medium tomato - roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1/4 cup tur dal
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- heat oil in a cooker and crackle mustard seeds,cumin seeds, chana dal and add curry leaves, green chilli, red chilli and fry for 30 seconds.
- further add peppercorns and onions and fry until transparent.
- roughly chop the tomatoes and add it to the cooker. fry for half a minute.
- add washed rice, dal, turmeric powder, salt and water required. 3.5-4 cups water to 1 cup rice.
- close and pressure cook in medium flame for 3 whistles.
- open when pressure settles, fluff it up and serve hot.