poori masala or most familiarly called as poori masal is one of the attractive, most liked tiffin item at any place. simple but tasty and crispy deep fried pooris and potato masala makes a very strong bond together.
those puffy and crispy pooris have little secrets behind and here it is for you. while I was a kid, i use to stare at the big puffy pooris which will be arranged in road side small hotels which will stay puffed all day long.
whenever i asked mom how is it possible, she says they add something unwanted or they make it thick. but poori is meant to be crisp not thick and rubbery. so i just dropped that idea of digging deeper into how it was possible.
this idea of adding rava was to bring crispiness. and it absolutely stays puffy until you serve it to the plate but not longer than that. 🙂 that smell of poori masala at home drives everyone hungry and crazy. agree?
quick video of poori masala recipe
how to make crispy poori and potato masala south Indian popular breakfast recipe
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal split
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 2 nos green chilli split
- 3 large onion thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 3 cups potato boiled and mashed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp rava
- salt to taste `
- oil for deep frying
heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, ginger chopped, green chilli and onion sliced.
fry till slightly brown and then add cooked and mashed potatoes, turmeric powder, salt.
mix well, add little water, close and cook for 5-10 minutes.
mix together wheat flour, sugar, rava, oil and salt.
add water little at a time and make a thick stiff dough.
flatten to a thick small disc.
heat oil for deep frying and put in the pooris and press slightly all over until it puffs up.
turn sides and cook on both sides.
serve hot with potato masala
learn how to make crispy poori and potato masala
1. Potato masala recipe
1.heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds and add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, chopped ginger and slit green chillies.
2. fry for few seconds until the dal gets slightly brown in shade. now add thinly sliced onions with little salt for frying the onions. fry until onions are slightly brown.
3. cook the potatoes before hand and mash them and keep it ready. I have taken 3 large potatoes and pressure cooked with 2 cups water for 4 whistles. peel the potatoes once cool and mash them. add the mashed potatoes to pan along with turmeric powder and salt required for the potatoes. note that we have already added salt while frying onions. fry for a minute on high and then add water.
4. close and cook for 10 minutes in medium heat. open and add chopped coriander leaves(optional). serve hot with crispy pooris.
2. crispy poori recipe
1.take the wheat flour in a mixing bowl and add sugar, rava/sooji, salt and oil/ghee.
2.crumble everything together with fingers. add water little at a time and make a dough. cut them to equal portion.
3. take each portion and roll them to a thick round disc.
4. heat oil and put the pooris into it. press it slightly all over until it gets puffed up.
5. when the sizzle reduces, turn side and cook the other side until golden brown. strain it.
serve hot with masala.