Aloo bhindi rice recipe – ladies finger and potato rice is one of the easy, tasty and healthy meal that can be packed for lunch. Its mildy spiced, simple recipe that can be fixed up on busy mornings.
Bhindi/ladies finger/vendakkai is a good source of vitamin, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. Potato and ladies finger combination is good for the fact that the ladies finger gets fried easily and turns crisp as the potatoes absorb the moisture and reduces stickiness of the okra.
Step 1 is to cook the rice and cool it out completely
Step 2 is to prepare the vegetables
Step 3 is to cook the okra masala for the rice
Step 4 is to combine the rice and masala
As discussed earlier, potatoes absorb moisture and helps okra to fry well to a crispy texture and reduces the stickiness. While potatoes are optional, i recommend using it.
soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. Boil 4 parts water and add the drained rice to it. cook till done but not mushy. Drain the excess water and spread it out in a plate until completely cool and non sticky.
Wash the ladies finger and wipe it out with a clean cloth. Let it dry with no traces of water. Cut the vegetable and clean the knife with the tissue in between or after each cut to remove the gel/mucilage.
some of the other rice recipes:
Okra rice – video recipe
Aloo bhindi rice recipe
Aloo bhindi rice recipe
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal split
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 no red chilli broken
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large potato finely chopped
- 10-12 no ladies finger finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 cups cooked rice
- salt a pinch (for rice)
- 1/2 medium lemon squeeze
- Cook the rice and let it cool completely.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds and add chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves adn red chillies.
- fry for few seconds and add chopped onions. fry till slightly brown.
- When the onions turn brown, add potatoes and ladies finger with salt.
- fry till 3/4th done. add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- mix well and cook till crisp.
- add the cooked rice with a dash of salt and lemon squeeze.
- mix it up well and gently. rest for few minutes. and serve with raita, papad and pickle.
How to cook vendakkai sadham
Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, red chillies and curry leaves. Saute for few seconds.
Add finely chopped onions and fry till slightly brown.
When the onions are brown, add chopped potatoes and chopped ladies finger.
add salt and cook till almost done stirring in between.
At this stage, further add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Fry in simmer till crisp.
Furthermore, add cooked rice (should be completely cool), salt for the rice and lemon squeeze.
Put off stove and Mix gently. Let the rice sit for sometime before serving so that the masala gets in with the rice.
Serve it with raita, pickle or papad.