Spicy Indian Flavored baked side dish for steamed rice. Snake gourd is sauteed with flavors of Indian spices and then baked with egg and masala powders.
A new twist to the usual snakegourd porial/upperi/thoran with egg on the top which is half boiled and the flavor of sprinkled sambar masala on the top of the dish is the highlight.
Baked Pudalangai Muttai podimas/ Baked Snake gourd Egg curry/Baked side dish
- 1 Small to medium sized snake gourd chopped finely
- 1 small sized Onion chopped finely
To grind (Masala powder)
- 1 tsp Corriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 2 Red chillies
- Oil for brushing the dish
- 1 tsp gram flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp sambar powder
- corrinader leaves chopped for garnishing
- Heat oil in a kadai, put in chopped onions and saute until it turns brown. Now add the chopped snakegourd and saute well.
- Meanwhile, grind all the spices given under "to grind" section to a coarse powder.
- Add the ground Masala powder to the snakegourd and mix well. add salt and water required for the vegetable to cook. close and cook for 5-10 minutes until the vegetable is cooked.
- Meanwhile, grease the baking bowl with oil, sprinkle gram flour on it and keep it ready.
- Once the snakegourd is cooked and all the water in it is gone, layer it on the top of gram flour in the baking dish.
- Break an egg on top the dish and sprinkle sambar powder/chilli powder on the top.
- Bake for 5-10 mins in oven or until the egg on the top is more than half boiled.
- Serve as such in the dish with chopped corriander leaves sprinkled on top or Mix it well and serve.