We reserve raw jackfruit at this particular stage especially for making curries. In our village in Kerala, we have a huge jackfruit tree at our house which gets loaded this season with jackfruits. Granny parcels it for us every year and it tastes so good.
Cleaning raw jackfruit for curry has got a special technique. It is way different from cleaning it for other purposes. For curries, we add a little bit of flesh (white part of rags to which chola/avrils are attached).
If you are not sure how to clean it. Just separate all the cholas/avrils and seeds and discard all white threads/rags. We need a few seeds as well for the curry. adding seeds gives a slight crunch in the curry.
Chakka mulakushyam recipe
- 3 cups chopped raw jackfruit pellets
- 1/2 cup chopped jackfruit seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 broken red chilli
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- Chop the cholas and seeds roughly.
- Pressure cook with turmeric powder, salt, chilli powder and water to 2 whistles.
- Grind coconut and cumin seeds into fine paste.
- Add the ground paste to the curry and mix well. Give it a boil.
- Lastly, Put in few springs of curry leaves
- For seasoning, crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies and finely chopped shallots. Fry it until shallots turn brown. Add the seasoning to the curry.
Chakka mulakushyam – pictorial description:
1.Chop the cholas/avrils and seeds roughly. take it in a pressure cooker along with turmeric powder, chilli powder and curry leaves.
Pressure cook with turmeric powder, salt, chilli powder and water to 2 whistles.
Open and mash slightly
Grind coconut and cumin seeds into fine paste.
Add the ground paste to the curry and mix well. Give it a boil.
put off when it starts to boil. For Tempering, crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies, and finely chopped shallots.
Fry it until shallots turn brown.
Add the tempering to the curry.
Curry tends to thicken soon after it cools down. So, add warm water to it and mix well before serving if you are serving it for rice.
Chakka mulakushyam – recipe
check out raw jackfruit recipes here.