Chow Chow poriyal or chayote squash stir fry is simple, easy and healthy recipe that can be had as side dish for rice. goes good even for phulkas.
Chow chow has got many good reasons to eat.
- Good for the heart – B vitamin which helps prevent risk of coronary heart disease and stroke.
- Helps prevent cancer -Vitamin C is known as one of the powerful antioxidants, substances that may protect cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Helps the body produce energy (Manganese) – helps the body convert protein and fat to energy.
- Helps prevent constipation (Fiber)
- Helps reduce blood pressure (Potassium)
- Good for the brain (Vitamin B6)
Chow Chow poriyal video recipe:
Chow Chow poriyal recipe:
Chow Chow poriyal
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 nos red chilli - broken
- 1 no green chilli - broken
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp chana dal
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 1 cup chow chow - chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp sambar powder
- salt to taste
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds
- Add curry leaves, red chilli, green chilli, urad dal and chana dal . Mix well and fry until dal gets brown
- fry onions until pink
- Add chow chow , turmeric powder, chilli powder and sambar powder. adjust salt to taste
- add water, close and cook until the vegetable is done.