Peas potato curry recipe south Indian style | Dry peas curry
Peas potato curry recipe south Indian style – Dry Pattani Kuzhambu with step by step pics and video recipe. Simple, easy to cook and tasty side dish for idli, dosa and goes well with chapathi/poori and rice as well.
One of the very common curry recipes is Pattani potato masala/kulambu. I pair this dry Pattani kuzhambu usually with our favourite chinna vengaya/small onion uthappam.
It is not a surprising fact that most of our traditional recipes and cuisines include by default healthy ingredients. you cannot see a south Indian pantry especially Tamil pantry without Dry peas. At least 2-3 times a month or even more commonly this cancer-fighting food is being used in our diet.
Some of the breakfast curry recipes:
- Kongunad mushroom curry
Video of Peas potato curry recipe south Indian style
Peas potato curry recipe south Indian style
to saute and grind
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large onions chopped
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp sambar powder
- 2-3 tbsp coconut
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 medium tomato chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup dry peas soaked overnight
- 1 large potato diced
- salt to taste
- 1.5-2 cups water
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- Soak the Pattani/Dry peas overnight.
- To saute and grind, Heat oil, crackle cumin seeds, garlic and add curry leaves, onion and fry till pink.
- further, add poppy seeds and fry for few seconds.
- Later, add sambar powder and coconut pieces. Fry again for few seconds. Put off flame.
- Let the mixture cool and grind it to a fine paste.
- Meanwhile, In a cooker, heat oil, add mustard seeds, chopped ginger, curry leaves and onions
- Fry till onions are slightly brown.
- Further add tomatoes and fry till slightly mushy.
- When the tomatoes are mushy, add prepared masala, turmeric powder and fry for few minutes.
- Now, drain and add the peas and diced potatoes to the cooker along with salt to taste .
- Add water to make it thin. Close and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Open and mash it slightly.
- lastly, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with idli/dosa/rice.
Dry Peas and potato masala Curry recipe
1.Soak the dry peas overnight. Firstly, lets prepare the masala needed for the curry. Heat oil in the pan and add cumin seeds and garlic to it. let it crackle a little and then add roughly chopped onions and fry until they get transparent.
2. When the onions turn transparent, add khus khus/poppy seeds and fry for few seconds.
3. Lastly, add sambar powder and coconut. mix well. put off the flame. need not fry further.
4. cool and grind it to a fine paste. Keep it aside until use.
5. Meanwhile, heat oil in a cooker. crackle mustard seeds and saute in chopped ginger. When the mustard crackles, add curry leaves.
6. Fry in the chopped onions together until they turn slightly brown.
7. Furthermore, add chopped tomatoes and fry till slightly mushy.
8. At this stage, add prepared masala, turmeric powder and mix well. Fry for few seconds.
9. Drain and add the soaked peas into the cooker along with diced potatoes and salt to taste.
10. Mix well and add 1.5 -2 cups of water to make it thin.
11. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles or even longer. Let the pressure settle on its own before you open. Mash the peas slightly here and there.
12. lastly, chopped coriander leaves is used to garnish. Mix and serve hot.